• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

prints not solid on VS-640

signguy35

My company bought a VS-640 and we are having troubles with the colors not being solid. like little white spots in the solid black. Im using the Roland color palette. What is everybody using for profiles for Arlon 6000 XRP? and what about heat settings? im heating the print side to 104 and the dryer to 110. i just cant get a really solid color. thanks.

DigitalPrintTech

There is no wrong question, just wrong answers
Having your settings would be very helpful,(i.e. quality tab, printer controls tab in VW)

How about a pic of the test print?

When you say it's not solid, is it streaking, or does the color just look faded?

The white spots, I would guess as being dust on the material, and the ink is not attaching itself to that area or there is some sort of debris on the surface.

Your heat is pretty high on the print heater- I would have it around 35 degrees C which is 95 degrees F and increase the dryer to 50 degrees C which is 122 degrees F.

mudmedia

It can be a numerous amount of things...First thing I can think of when you say not solid I would refer to graineness (Spell check)

1-Heat Settings try raising the heat
2-Color settings in versaworks (I always ran on MAX Impact)
3-Profiling (I always ran on PCVP 2 or 3)
4-Make sure media is CLEAN ... Maybe wipe down to make sure no dust or anything got on the media. I always ran my heaters on 112 and 130 on the heater but you are using different media so try different temp settings not saying you have to raise them could be where they are to hot as well ..

GOOD LUCK!

2B

the media also plays a factor

what are you printing on? banners sometimes get the "white spots" do to head strikes and or printing on the wrong side as well as the head height.

DigitalPrintTech

the media also plays a factor

what are you printing on? banners sometimes get the "white spots" do to head strikes and or printing on the wrong side as well as the head height.

Arlon 6000 XRP is what he stated.

Mudmedia: Beware that to much heat doesnt allow the ink to gain likes its design to. Which can cause color issues. I also understand that Humidity and Ambient Temp is a factor too, but I am just throwing that out there.

WCSign

I had the same problem, especially in black.. sent a test print to my tech and he made a custom profile based on the 3m1080 or whatever one it is and that solved the problem 100%

the other things folks mentioned definately improved my quality, but in the end it was the profile

tomence

From what i understand is VersaWorks comes loaded with profiles only for their media which is Roland Media and this profiles work best with only this media. Once you start using different brands like Oracal or 3M that's when you start seeing graininess in your prints. So to have good quality print you need to custom profile your media and printer.

signguy35

its not the dust that is a problem. i have everything wrapped and clean.
It does not do it on my banners. They look great. im kinda pissed because arlon doesnt make profiles for the VS-640. and i have no idea how to make my own. i did have my heat up to 110 print and 116 for dry and i was getting print head strikes. i am running on max impact. and i was told it was the profile but my tech guy is not really helping at all. anybody actually own a vs-640?

Custom_Grafx

From what i understand is VersaWorks comes loaded with profiles only for their media which is Roland Media and this profiles work best with only this media. Once you start using different brands like Oracal or 3M that's when you start seeing graininess in your prints. So to have good quality print you need to custom profile your media and printer.

The generic profiles, although not perfect, have actually worked not too badly for me on a variety of media. Usually a good starting point when diagnosing. The only thing is, they are a bit on the heavy ink usage side.

DigitalPrintTech

Signguy

Although Arlon is not the best choice of medias, its still a decent material that will usually render a good result.

Be mindful that media companies are not perfect they do run into issues when making media. I cant tell you how many times in life repairing machines, that I have seen the white spots appear in the prints. Bad batches can be made and the mfg doesnt know until it hits the market. Its just the way it is in this business.

With that said, in the politically correct world, yes you should have the correct profile for that media. But with all of the provided profiles and using the right combination of settings, you can rid yourself of grainy prints and nice vivid solid colors. It all basically boils down to having a baseline to start with.

I still would like to see a test print from the machine, and possibly the test print from VW under the Printer Menu. Its hard to help when I cant see what your referring to.

tomence

The generic profiles, although not perfect, have actually worked not too badly for me on a variety of media. Usually a good starting point when diagnosing. The only thing is, they are a bit on the heavy ink usage side.

You are right, they are on the heavy ink usage side. I found few profiles that print good but they lay down too much ink. That's why i am saying you need to profile your printer and also your ink limits.

WCSign

Yeah I think I remember my guy saying it was laying too much ink and thats why it was blotchy.. sounded counterintuitive at the time, but its good now so Im not complaining