• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem Cutting in Signlab 7.1

tdgraphics

I have a problem whereby the last few bits of a job sent to the cutter do not cut. An example may be that O have 2 logos to cut, the first cuts fine, the second will have about 95% cut and then the cutter just stops. It does not go back to it origin, just stops part way through the cut.

This happens when I cut to both my Graphtec CE 300-60 and VersaCamm SP 540 V.

I have exported the file as an .ai and imported that into Flexi Letter and that cuts fine. In fact all my jobs cut as expected from Flexi. Every time I try and cut from Signlab, the last portion does not cut, every time.

My setup is that I have 1 Computer with Signlab on it, another with Illustrator and Photoshop and a 3rd with Flexi.

All my printers (desktop and wide format) and cutters are communicated with over IP.

Is there some buffering setting within Signlab that needs to be set for the cutters as they are connected over IP, they are not part of Print and Cut Manager.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Neil

Not sure, but in some cases the complexity of the cut file can cause the buffer to fill. When this happens it can make it appear that the machine is stalled, or finished (yet incomplete). I would suggest, if you haven't already, trying again and waiting on the machine to return to "home" (or whatever you set). This will indicate if the machine and software "believe" they are complete with their assigned tasks.

tdgraphics

It was simply 4 lines of text about 18" x 26". There was nothing really complexity about the image. I also left the machine running for about 15 minutes just in case the buffer was having some form of glitch.

As I say though, tis happens on both machines I use as cutters. It happens every time with the last part of the job.

In the instance above, I sen the text down as copies = 2. First copy printed fine, the last part of the second copy stalled.

There are so many possibilities. Does it do it with just this file, or others as well?

We had an issue a couple months back that actually turned out to be a corrupted file, but I cannot see how that could or would apply if you are getting one copy to completely cut.

It almost sounds as if SignLab's out spooler is having a problem.

tdgraphics

No, its not just the one file. I have tried 3 files so far and all have the same problem. I ended up saving them and .ai files and cutting them in Flexi.

I don't use Signlab all that much as I find it difficult to use. I have ended up using Flexi for cutting and Illustrator / Versaworks for RIP and Print. I have a number of files in Signlab format which were created with Signlab 7.0

I recently got the 7.1 upgrade and have used it on the odd occasion. but it is only recently that I have experienced these problems.

Geary

Sounds like that "point one" in 7.1 was the kicker. Bummer dude. I'm sure you're going to have communication with SignLab. Let us know what they say. :wink:

~Gear

I don't use Signlab all that much as I find it difficult to use. I have ended up using Flexi for cutting and Illustrator / Versaworks for RIP and Print. I have a number of files in Signlab format which were created with Signlab 7.0

Ouch! Giving up SignLab for Flexi almost sounds like "stepping out" !LOL!

We completely understand the issues of proprietary file extensions. We have learned to save files in AI ans EPS formats just to avoid getting stuck with thousands of files that are inaccessible.

If we remember correctly, you purchased from a UK distributor that has given you "zero" support. Communication with Canada would probably be your best avenue, as Cadlink has changed their "holy" attitude.

tdgraphics

Thanks for the comments guys. I was hoping that Rod from Cadlink Canada was around as he has been very helpful in the past.

I will see if he is around and see if he has heard of something similar. I think personally it is a buffering issue. Maybe there is a setting in Signlab. I may have changed something, however I am not aware of changing anything.

Thanks again guys.

It is forums like this and the active member base that helps the whole community as well as organisations like Cadlink, SAi, Adobe and the rest of the software community. Thanks again.

signage

tdgraphics have you gone to cadlinks website? If not go there and join it has a lot of good tech advice and also tutorials for using signlab. Hope this helps you.

Rod

I've asked Ray Wilcox to contact you

tdgraphics said:
Thanks for the comments guys. I was hoping that Rod from Cadlink Canada was around as he has been very helpful in the past.

I will see if he is around and see if he has heard of something similar. I think personally it is a buffering issue. Maybe there is a setting in Signlab. I may have changed something, however I am not aware of changing anything.

Hi Neil,

Sorry for late reply. I managed to cut my hand a couple days ago and needed to take things easy to let the fingers heal. So I've been staying away from physical activity, typing, etc.

My initial thought is perhaps the Machine Limits need to be checked.

I've asked Ray Wilcox to contact you help you get sorted out. Is that okay with you? I'm not sure that doing back-and-forths in forums postings is going to help you effectively.

FYI, there is a build 7 of SignLab 7.1 available. Just go Start menu >> Programs >> SignLab >> Update SignLab Print and Cut.

Pro Signs & Graphix said:
If we remember correctly, you purchased from a UK distributor that has given you "zero" support. Communication with Canada would probably be your best avenue, as Cadlink has changed their "holy" attitude.

Yes. Hopefully, we have made some progress there.

Cheers,

Rod at CADlink

Last edited:

Geary

Rod said:
I'm not sure that doing back-and-forths in forums postings is going to help you effectively.

I'm not too sure about that Rodster....as that's how he/we heard about you. :wink: Besides, the rest of us may actually learn something from the exchanges.

Take care o' those digits...hope they're healing well. :thumb:

~Gear

tdgraphics

Sorry to hear about your hand Rod, hope it's getting better.

I have just check in the About from the Help menu, I have 7.1 Revision 1. I have just tried to 'Update Signlab Print and Cut' and it says there are no updates available.

I am almost sure that since the upgrade to 7.1 I have used to cutters fine. Thats why I thought it could be a buffering issue caused by me changing some setting.

I will wait for Rays call.

Thanks again Rod for your help. You and the guys at Cadlink have provided excellent support after the first hicups, thanks.

rayw

The resolve?

For those following this thread who like to know the resolves, we have created TCP/IP standard ports in windows, for Neil's two cutters and are now plotting to these ports rather than using the TCP/IP raw option and specifying the IP address there. In the tests we made this worked fine and Neil is going to try it out some more and report back if it re occurs.

tdgraphics

Thanks Ray and Rod for your help.

The problem seems to have been resolved by implementing the suggestion Ray explained above.

Rod

Thanks

tdgraphics said:
Thanks Ray and Rod for your help.
The problem seems to have been resolved by implementing the suggestion Ray explained above.

Hi everyone,

I'm back after a week's vacation and I'm just checking around to see how things have been going. Glad to see that Ray worked out a good solution.

Thanks for your concern wrt fingers. :wink: I appreciate that. The skin on one is almost cleared up, and the other is healing well and just needs more time.

Regards,

Rod