• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem when routing UV-ink

sign24h

Hello from sweden! (Sorry for bad English)

We have some problem when we are routing aluminium sheets with full bleed print.
The flatbed we use is Oce 550xt and 360GT both with 257ink.
We use aluminium sheets with white 0500 paint. aluminium thickness is 1.5mm 1mm and 0.7mm
Router Multicam (3000series i think)
The problem is that it comes out flaky and the laminate is loose around the edge. It looks like crap.
We have started to clean the sheets with silicone remover and the inks adhesive is good but it can't handle the force from the router.

It feels like we have tried everything now and can't get it to work.
High and low Lamp settings. Works better when i go as high as possible. Lamps are pretty new and lamp house is clean.
A lot of different kind of router bits. up/down/neutral cutter. Rpms and federates
We have tried seven different kinds of laminate
It´s no different if we let the print sit to cure for several days before lamination.

When we use dibond it works great. So i now suspect that ours alu- sheets paint is the problem.
Anyone know what kind of paint the dibond panels have!?
We are waiting for the answer from the supplier but they aren't fast.
And yes,I have search the internet for the answer :)

Here is some usual kind of paint types i believe.
Plastisol
solution acrylic
Polyester Silicone
Polyester
PolyFluoride PVDF
Acrylic Latex
Polyurethane

I hope someone here have had the same issue and beaten it and now are willing to share the secrets :)
Best regards!

earplug

Try these test's to see exactly where the problem is:

Route a plain sheet of aluminum
Route a printed sheet of aluminum no laminate
Route the aluminum with just laminate

This should tell you if the problem is with the aluminum paint, the UV ink, or the laminate.

sign24h

Hello
We have tested that.
We have no problem to route plain ALU or with/without laminate.
If We route printed ALU without laminate it looks OK. Only small signs of flakes/chipping.

Anyway, Now We have tested som painted aluminium from another supplier. And it sems to work! ! :)
We need to order some full size sheets and test it in real production to be sure. But it feels good.

vincesigns

you may need to use a primer on the panel before printing to improve adhesion. Oce should be able to recommend one for you

thomlov

I just ran into this problem when printing on go-bond with aluminium surface. Using vink's i-bond with the aluminium finish works flawless. The difference is in the coating between the the two products, but i don't find any data sheets to confirm what type of coating it is.

The notable thing here is that this problem is with the 257 ink. I have asked the supplier, and other printers, and they don't have reported problems with the 256 ink. I earlier ran 256 ink as well, and didn't have this problem back then. So i suspect that the 257 ink just isnt happy with this surface coating, but i havent worked more with this to confirm it, just use the supplier with the other coating.

So i recommend testing other brands/suppliers to see if you find a better matching coating on the plates, or investigate if it is worth going back to the 256 ink to solve the problem

This is on a 660xt

Also primer just adds unnecesary extra work and time, and raises the cost of the products, so its better to spend some time finding the cause in my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

thomlov

Also do a scrape test of the ink before laminating. You should not be able to scrape the ink of easily. On the plates i had problem with, i could use a strip of laminate and pull the ink right off. On good plates i can pull the laminate off and the ink stays on the plate.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

sign24h

Also do a scrape test of the ink before laminating. You should not be able to scrape the ink of easily. On the plates i had problem with, i could use a strip of laminate and pull the ink right off. On good plates i can pull the laminate off and the ink stays on the plate.

the inks adheshive is good as long as we don´t scrape or route in it.
I have tried adhesion promoters with bad results. print comes out with wipe streaks. and no better adhesion.
Maybe some other brand of promoters will work, But i really don´t wont to use promoters. It´s slows down production to much :)

Hello from sweden! (Sorry for bad English)

We have some problem when we are routing aluminium sheets with full bleed print.
The flatbed we use is Oce 550xt and 360GT both with 257ink.
We use aluminium sheets with white 0500 paint. aluminium thickness is 1.5mm 1mm and 0.7mm
Router Multicam (3000series i think)
The problem is that it comes out flaky and the laminate is loose around the edge. It looks like crap.
We have started to clean the sheets with silicone remover and the inks adhesive is good but it can't handle the force from the router.

It feels like we have tried everything now and can't get it to work.
High and low Lamp settings. Works better when i go as high as possible. Lamps are pretty new and lamp house is clean.
A lot of different kind of router bits. up/down/neutral cutter. Rpms and federates
We have tried seven different kinds of laminate
It´s no different if we let the print sit to cure for several days before lamination.

When we use dibond it works great. So i now suspect that ours alu- sheets paint is the problem.
Anyone know what kind of paint the dibond panels have!?
We are waiting for the answer from the supplier but they aren't fast.
And yes,I have search the internet for the answer :)

Here is some usual kind of paint types i believe.
Plastisol
solution acrylic
Polyester Silicone
Polyester
PolyFluoride PVDF
Acrylic Latex
Polyurethane

I hope someone here have had the same issue and beaten it and now are willing to share the secrets :)
Best regards!

Hello Guys.

Where do you order the aluminium? Have you tried RANGEFABRIKEN? They are very good at answering questions and I think you can tell them if you need some special color that would work better,

Danskitt

We have also had problems with uv ink flaking from cut when routing, we solved it by using router bits with the flute running down or in reverse.