• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem with Caldera color profile on Latex 360

bofferdahl

I am having a little trouble achieving a good profile with Caldera and our Latex 360 printers. I have GrandRIP+ LE 10.2 and an i1 Pro with I1io spectrometer. I print a lot of IJ180cv3-10, so this is the main profile I am concerned with. Following, I have listed the things I have tried, but I am still not completely satisfied with results and I keep getting a warning that I have not been able to figure out.

The warning I consistently receive is: Profile seems to be done with different set of printheads and/or inks. You might want to relinearize it.

I have used our i1PRO to build profiles and most of the colors are very accurate, but I am having trouble achieving good rich red colors. I have been setting an ink limit of 220. They are dull, or are a little orange in color. This is the same in different speed/quality modes.

I have used the certified IJ180 profile and loaded the preset ICC color for IJ180, but the colors are not very correct and they still seem dull.

Before building profiles, I have run Optimize Print Quality on the Latex 360 to ensure quality/color was good at the machine. I have 3 of these printers and I get very similar results. I have searched online, but have not been able to find a solution to my problems.

Is achieving a good red just not a possibility? Why do I keep getting the printhead/ink warning? I have spent many hours and many feet of material trying to get a good profile and trying to get rid of that error, but no luck yet. I would greatly appreciate any advice on what to try next or what I may be doing wrong.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
What happens when you set your ink limits to max?

do you have photoshop? how does your soft proofs look?

bofferdahl

What happens when you set your ink limits to max?

do you have photoshop? how does your soft proofs look?

I have not tried max ink limits. I will update today after trying that.

We do have Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign. Soft proofs look good and we can achieve good rich colors on our UV machines.

ProPDF

I would take a screen shot of what your seeing in terms of Caldera asking you to re-linearize it and email it to Caldera support. I know we had some issues in version 9.2 on our Rolands. We had to update the firmware and also there was no option to create a profile for cmykcm they (caldera) told us we had to create a cmyk profile only not a cmykcm or cmyklclm. Make sure you get a hold of Earnst though on this one....not that the other guys are bad but he has a ton of spot on knowledge.

As a pure novice using i1 ourselves.... maybe try increasing your ink limits to the 250 range and or start your black at %20 if that is even an option on your HP machine. There are some color guru's on here that could be of much more help but on our roland's I have seen setting the ink limits a little higher than suggested have helped out. At the end of the day its best to bring a professional in to dial the machines in with color.

Good luck!

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
From 1 measurement file. You can create as many profiles you like from it.
Use your usual settings in i1profiler and only change your limits. Go up by 25 until you're at maximum ink. You'll have a bunch of profiles now. Test them all out with the same test print. Take notes.
I've never had issues with i1p getting deep colours.

AF

Your linearization can restrict your inks despite the 220 ink limit. Work on your linearization and then re-test the canned profile. Make sure Caldera is using the correct linearization file.

FrankW

The message isn't a caldera message, it comes from the printer. You can switch it off in the printer settings.

This printer is a contone printer, it should not treated as a "normal" printer. At minimum ink limiting and Linearization should be done in the printer, and if you don't want to do the ICC-Profile in the printer too (for synching it to Caldera), you should set the ink limit to maximum, the linearization to linear, and do custom work on the ICC only.