• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem with contour cutting on D140 Summa...

ToddM.

Hey there...So i put a new blade in my Summa D140. (I put in a 35 degree blade, the old one was a 45)...It was contour cutting perfectly before, but now it is off. Both ends cut very close, but it gets farther off the closer you get to the center of the print...Any idea what the issue may be? I can't seem to find much info on how to correct this...I'd appreciate any input!

ToddM.

Thanks for the info! The previous offset I used was .43 and I've tried several different settings between .30 and .50, but it's not making much of a difference in the accuracy either way...When I do a test cut, the little squares look perfectly straight to me...I'm not sure what the problem could be?

FrankW

Depending on the printer, if the middle of the print is not exact, it could be a problem of the media, an effect named „bowing“, comes from applied heat while printing (the media is distorted). If your Cutter is a SummaCut R-Model (dark grey instead of beige), you can set your Cutter to OPOS XY to optimize accuracy. How Ou could do that depends on the Software you use.

ToddM.

Depending on the printer, if the middle of the print is not exact, it could be a problem of the media, an effect named „bowing“, comes from applied heat while printing (the media is distorted). If your Cutter is a SummaCut R-Model (dark grey instead of beige), you can set your Cutter to OPOS XY to optimize accuracy. How Ou could do that depends on the Software you use.

The bowing explanation makes sense, but I've been printing and cutting the same vinyl for several months with no problems. I don't know why I would start having issues now? Very frustrating.

PSB123

Hello Todd,

you have to change the knife offset in the plotter settings. For the new knife the offset should be around 0.45mm...but you'll have to do some tests.

You can read all about it here:

Changing The Drag Knife Offset - Summa D120 User Manual [Page 42]
I am also experiencing nicks in each letter that is cutter on my Summa D140 ! It's as if the knife is not completing the cut correctly and snagging on the vinyl slightly each time it lifts off the media. ........ Any suggestions please ??

Robert Gruner

Todd,

If you are performing print and cut, you need to make sure you are using the XY alignment bar between the bottom two regmarks. Check the setting "Alignment mode" and be sure it is set to "Force OPOS XY".

If this is cut job only: You note you were using a 45 degree blade? Summa only carries a 36 degree, 55 degree, and 60 degree blades. Are you using an OEM knife or a third party knife?

Bob

PSB123

PSB123- lessen your blade depth
Hi Jburns
Many thanks for this. Reduced the knife pressure and this appeared to help initially. However, I now can't even get the Summa to complete a Test square fully, very bizarre !!?