• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Problem with Gerber Dimension 200X

When routing, as the bit advances along a simple path it cuts deeper and deeper into the material. We've used the machine for years, so it's not like I'm not setting the X-axis incorrectly to the thickness of the material. We are using Artpath ( We were routing 4 duplicate jobs (individually, not in the same job); first one was fine, 2nd and 3rd started going haywire (caught it before table was damaged). Has anyone seen this problem?

Joe House

Most of the time that I've seen that happen is when the bit is slipping. Make sure that the collet and the bit shaft are clean and then tighten the nut completely. Also make sure that you're using a metric collet if the bit is metric or an SAE collet if the bit is a fraction of an inch.

Ken M. Klein

When routing, as the bit advances along a simple path it cuts deeper and deeper into the material. We've used the machine for years, so it's not like I'm not setting the X-axis incorrectly to the thickness of the material. We are using Artpath ( We were routing 4 duplicate jobs (individually, not in the same job); first one was fine, 2nd and 3rd started going haywire (caught it before table was damaged). Has anyone seen this problem?
I have experienced the identical problem with my D200 and replaced the Y-Axis stepper motor in an attempt to solve the issue. I still had the problem. While I have never found a perfect solution, I seem to think it's a static issue because the problem occurs in the dry, winter months. My D200 is in an "unheated" portion of my building.

Most of the time that I've seen that happen is when the bit is slipping. Make sure that the collet and the bit shaft are clean and then tighten the nut completely. Also make sure that you're using a metric collet if the bit is metric or an SAE collet if the bit is a fraction of an inch.

Thanks for your reply. When I read your response I thought, "who could be so dumb as to leave the collet loose?" That would be me. It wasn't very loose, but enough to push the bit in slightly as it went through the various layers of the MDO. Thanks again! I will be more careful taking my medication in the future.

Ken M. Klein

In my post from yesterday I mentioned the "Y-Axis motor" and I actually meant the "Z-Axis motor." I have watched my D200 plunge on the Z and occasionally it just keeps cranking downward to the point where i've actually broken bits in the table top. If the collet were loose, I would think the bit would push upward and therefore not cut as deep.

In my post from yesterday I mentioned the "Y-Axis motor" and I actually meant the "Z-Axis motor." I have watched my D200 plunge on the Z and occasionally it just keeps cranking downward to the point where i've actually broken bits in the table top. If the collet were loose, I would think the bit would push upward and therefore not cut as deep.
Can't say why the cut kept getting deeper. The bit was "firm", not completely loose. When I tightened the nut the problem went away.