• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem with Oracal 3951 on Sprinter Van

jetgraphicsmi

I know there have been a few discussions on this topic here, but I wanted to get a fresh perspective. I just finished a sprinter van for a customer, and I'm not very happy with the way it turned out. The graphic was a partial wrap, with the logo spanning a few of the deep channels in the side of the van and a large swoosh design over the back end also covering some of the channels (see image). The van was painted at some point in it's life. It was white, but it was clearly painted black. The customer also used a stripping wheel to remove some existing graphics.

To prep the surface, I sprayed with water/dish soap combo and wiped it down to remove surface dirt. I then used Rapid Prep to clean the entire surface again. Then again with Rapid Tac II. I also cleaned the deep channels out with 70% Isopropyl Alcohol.

I used Oracal 3951 RA with Oracal 290 G laminate. I applied the graphics flat to the sides, then used a heat gun to heat and press the vinyl into the channels. I pressed in with both soft and hard squeegees and I wear gloves when installing. Once the vinyl cooled and it was laid in place with no bubbles. I hit it with the heat again. My shop is kept at between 65 and 70 degrees F. Almost immediately the vinyl bubbled and pulled away from the deep channels. Unfortunately, no amount of heat or pressing would get it to stay put, so in the end, I had no choice but to make relief cuts. It solved the problem, but it obviously is not a clean look. The customer was happy with the final outcome, and the truck looks good, but I'm a perfectionist and I want my wraps to be as seamless as possible.

I chose Oracal because it states in their literature that 3951 is designed for this type of application. Of course now I'm reading about primers and "laying" in the vinyl, which is not always possible. I'm also reading good things about 3M ij380. I'm a little frustrated that I may have a wrap coming back to me soon for re-work. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jason

PS. We let each print off gas for 24 hours before laminating.

DSC08955.jpg

Last edited:

JoeBoomer

My installers always cut those channels on sprinters and leave the "sidewalls" of the channels bare. Or, if it is a drastic color difference, they will lay down vinyl in the channel first.

I could be wrong on this, but I really don't think 3951 or even 3M IJ180c (which I use) can handle that much of a stretch without popping back.

You would prob. need to use 3M 380 or 480 if you really want to wrap that. Actually Arlon makes a few nice products too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ1FDtcPwH4

jetgraphicsmi

Thanks

Thanks Gino.

Thanks Joe also for the info. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has resorted to cutting the vinyl out of the channels. I will have to look into the 3M 380. I wrapped my business vehicle with some of it that I got as a sample and it seemed fine. My first trouble was with a chevy van with no windows, but still has the grooves where the windows should be in the sides. My first attempt was with Oracal 3651, and that just would not stay down. I removed the entire thing and switched to the O 3951, which seemed to work, but the customer did bring it back once because of some minor lifting in the creases. I used heat, and that seemed to fix it. I just emailed him to check and see if there were any continuing issues. In that case I laid the vinyl into the creases as I applied it, but it was just the business name huge across the side of the van, so laying the vinyl in was no problem.

I guess if I want the best results I'll go with the best vinyl, regardless of cost. I'd rather have some higher up front material cost than have my customers bringing stuff back.

My sign supply sales rep is bringing someone from Arlon by the shop so I can check out their vinyl too. I haven't used any of it yet, but I guess it's worth a try.

Jason