• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem with paint and letters...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Customer ordered these acrylic letters I got from Gemini. Once they arrived they told me they now want white. Ok, no biggie, I'll spray paint them like I've done many times before.

I put the first coat on and it was fine. I did the second coat today and it cracked and looked like shit. Realizing it was already ruined I wiped one of them off and it look the first layer up with it. What did I do wrong and can these be saved? Can I dump them in a mineral spirit bath and remove the paint or is that as stupid as me trying to wipe off the letter? I used Rustoleum

20210422_173851.jpg

a77

Common problem with spraypaint.. the solvent in the pain is eating your first layer of cured paint.
You have to do multiple coats in a shorter period of time... wait an hour or so and then put the second coat.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Try some of the mild citrus-based wood/paint strippers from Home Depot. A strong thinner would most likely soften up the plastic and cause more issues.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Are those colored plastic? If so, hit it with your heat gun, use bulldog adhesion promoter and then paint Don't use rustoleum, its shit paint (like all aerosol spray paint) and will be chalking and running down the sides of the building before the year is out.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Are those colored plastic? If so, hit it with your heat gun, use bulldog adhesion promoter and then paint Don't use rustoleum, its **** paint (like all aerosol spray paint) and will be chalking and running down the sides of the building before the year is out.
It's clear acrylic that was painted black. Their paint seems to hold up well.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I would let the past dry then sand it down to the original paint and try again.

Usually spray paint has a warning on the can that you need to recoat within 1 hour or after 24 hours for this reason.

Well that sucks... I sprayed it before I left this morning and again when I came back so that was like 8 hours.

I would just get new letters but they have to be installed next week. It's always the smallest jobs that turn into a pain. I guess I'll be sanding it down this weekend. 1 hour project now turning into three

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks as though you put the first cost on too heavy. You need to soak them with paint thinner and wipe it off. Once its completely dry, then scare them up and get them covered in 4 or 5 light coats. Also, get a better choice of paint.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Looks as though you put the first cost on too heavy. You need to soak them with paint thinner and wipe it off. Once its completely dry, then scare them up and get them covered in 4 or 5 light coats. Also, get a better choice of paint.

What would be a better choice? Is all spray paint shit?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For plastic letters and being white, I'd go with krylon. You might wanna use a good primer first. Jay Cook.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I wouldn't use any alkyd enamel which is all spray paint if it is for outside, inside is fine. Spray paint is shit by nature. Even something like sherwin williams super paint will hold up longer. Get a qt of nason 2k auto paint and a preval sprayer. Mix it up and shoot it with that if you want it to last like the acrylic would have.

Johnny Best

Sand it down smoothe and then paint again. A white primer would help. You sprayed the first coat to thick and the second coat ate into it. You should have tagged more as a kid.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Sand it down smoothe and then paint again. A white primer would help. You sprayed the first coat to thick and the second coat ate into it. You should have tagged more as a kid.
you don't have time to do two coats on a tag... hell you don't have time to do one coat....

SignEST

you don't have time to do two coats on a tag... hell you don't have time to do one coat....
I spray painted exclusively with rustoleum spray cans if customer was ok with the tone . Always had great looking finishes. Your mistake was waiting too long to recoat. I wait about 10-20 minutes depending on the weather and the temperature of your painting area.

Big tip is to use a hard metal scraper on sharp acrylic corners but I bet the Gemini guys already did that for you.

I have yet to have luck with spraying one coat and then waiting any number of days and having a successful second coat. This is with rustoleum spray cans not other types of paint.

Your personal mileage may vary with other paints but this method always worked with rustoleum. If you have proper PPE and a well ventilated area then acetone or lacquer thinner will clear off a messed up paint job real quick. Just make sure neither of those damage the plastic you are working with.

It's a lot easier and faster to just wipe off the wet or semi wet paint when you know it looks like crap. Then just clean and re-spray right away.

Attachments

• wsafesign.jpg
    wsafesign.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 113
  • beigeisrustoleum.jpg
    beigeisrustoleum.jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

visual800

. Rustoleum is not a good long lasting product for for signage. That was not a smart move BUT if it works for you then carry on

To be done correctly I would have scuffed surface with scotchbrite and then primed with 2 part epoxy and then sprayed a satin or sg white latex on top of that. I would be shocked if mineral spirits removes this mess.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I tried sanding them down and used that orange remover but they all still look like shit. It's probably 99% operator error, I'm not into painting at all. I'm just going to tell them to buy new ones, I don't have time to fuck around with these letters anymore.