• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem with Transit Connect

judead

Just curious what the solution would be... I am using IJ180 cv3 with a epson gs6000 and a 8518 laminate. We washed the vehicle with soap and water and used 3m prep solv to clean and then wiped again with water. 3M primer 94 was laid into the deep channel up top. Also we laid the vinyl and heated to 160 degrees to lay down the vinyl in the channel. We then followed back up with a 200 degree post heat to keep it there. After a few hours it pulls up in some places. This is not the first transit we have done, but it seems to be a common problem. I checked the depth of the groove and it is within 3M specs meaning you are only going to stretch it 25% and 30% is acceptable. Has anyone had this problem? I believe it is making sure the vinyl going down into the groove because I have tried using the v-cat as well as the small diameter wheel they make too, but both don't seem to really work the vinyl down in. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks,

Adam

judead

Also I have looked at other transit connects and have noticed this seems to be a common problem for the ones I have seen as I have yet to see one that doesn't have small bubbles in the channel up top. Also I saw a transit that was wrapped for Miller and the funny thing was I was dying to look at the bumper as I noticed the rep drove it first without the bumper being wrapped which stuck out like a sore thumb. Two weeks later the bumper was done and I went into the parking lot and looked at it and they painted it the same color as the wrap... LOL

I did a front bumper on one and it turned out really good, but it took three hours for us to get down.

Last edited:

Des6139

VW Beetle, very challenging to wrap

I just fit wraps, I found this very challenging for two reasons;for some reason designers tend to go for a continuous image around these cars. These cars are very three dimensional, so what looks good on a flat screen needs to be taught about. The wheel arches had to be extended and then reprinted but i got it done,now just two more to do.

Attachments

• IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 64

Des6139

Sorry I done something wrong

Sorry judead i put this on your thread by mistake and now i cant figure out how to remove it

judead

Thats ok des6139..

Lex it is tenting but in just small spots almost like 3/8" bubbles. They are oval of course and are causing me a lot of grief. Have you looked at transit a month or so after you did it because they don't do it right away... Did you use IJ180 or something else? What was the way you installed from start to finish including prep?

Thanks,

Adam

jfiscus

Rap Master
I'm thinking the problem is in your prep. Did you clean the surface with an alcohol based cleanser? (we use denatured alcohol) It looks like your last step was just prep-all & water, and water does not take off oil-based products which may be contaminating the surface like armor-all, wax, etc. (Armor-all is THE DEVIL)

I've never had a lifting issue with 180cv3 if the surface is properly cleansed & the installer is putting it into the channels properly.

What happens if you lay it back down again with heat? Either the vinyl's memory isn't setting or it's not sticking to the car's surface.

Have your installers been to training classes? I thought I knew what I was doing from my OTJ experience doing a few wraps, but after attending a class I realized that if I did not have a set vehicle prep protocol that was always followed that there would be contamination issues & possible failures. Also, if the prep is not done correctly and documented correctly; there is no warranty.

lexsigns

Thats ok des6139..

Lex it is tenting but in just small spots almost like 3/8" bubbles. They are oval of course and are causing me a lot of grief. Have you looked at transit a month or so after you did it because they don't do it right away... Did you use IJ180 or something else? What was the way you installed from start to finish including prep?

Thanks,

Adam
Vinyl supplied by other shop- I beleive it was ( I install for them only)
I prep w/ windex for dirt then denatured alchol (like mentioned) 3M primer where needed. I tent in places but not the grooves on the bottom and if it over a shape ( where window would be ) I relief cut where needed.
Definately need alchol prep... try that

judead

Thanks everyone. I will try alcohol as the last step. It just doesn't spec it in 3m bulletin 5.36 for installation prep. So 3m prep solv doesn't get it clean enough. And when I say it is clean it is military clean. We are fanatical in wiping and making sure there are no contaminants. Trust me it isn't a dirty factor so it must be that the prep solv isn't getting the paint clean enough?

judead

Well just got off the phone with technical at 3M. They back up Mike Paul, Lex, and Jfiscus. Alcohol 30/70. That is what is supposed to be used after prep solv.

Thanks to everyone I will post up if this works.

ProWraps

are you tenting on the install, not is the material tenting after the install...

thats the question.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
.......and then wiped again with water

Yup, was about to say the same as pointed out. Water has a lot of contaminats in depending on the source ranging from an assortment of minerals to flouride and chlorine and other chemicals. We probably go through a half dozen bottles of 70/30 alchohol a week here. Always is the final step.

judead

are you tenting on the install, not is the material tenting after the install...

thats the question.

It is tenting after. Also we noticed issues with the laminate bunching up on the door right around the window rubber. I talked to 3M and they told me that this is a common problem with transit connects due to the window being rolled up and putting pressure on the vinyl. To relieve this issue put wax on the inside of the rubber channel. Just thought I would post this up for anyone that might be having the same problem.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Hello there. I have wrapped many many transit connects. We just clean it with alcohol. 3M primer and the key tool is 3M Roller L and heat gun. Never had any problem since.

Put the gun on medium heat ( i put my heat gun on 500f) And ask someone to hold the gun for you a few inches away just front of the roller. You take the roller..... and roll:D
With two hands really really hard. But watch out for a few things:
TEST first. for the right heat and speed! I was burning vinyl in the beginning but i realized post heating will get the shine back a little bit. So unless you really burn it dont be afraid if the channel looks matte.

The rubber O ring tends to slip off from the "pizzacutter" that will scrape the paint off also if you were rally pushing the roller. Just keep it straight not in an angle. Really expensive tool for wooden pizzacutter and rubber but it works great. And it will also split where they joined the rubber after a while. And they dont sell rubber o ring separately but im using mine for years with the split. Even used superglue. I know it sounds stupid but it works. I might make a vid for you next time.