• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems installing flexisign 8.1

josh sayer

4E934E1A-C558-4111-B58F-BB438BF5A7EE.jpeg
Hello all
I am having problems installing flexisign 8.1 to my laptop currently running windows 7. I keep getting the following message appear. Done anyone have any ideas what the problem may be and can offer any help. Many thanks josh

player

Right click on the program start icon and choose "troubleshoot compatibility".

Also try right click on the program start and choose "properties". Then choose "compatibility". Then check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for". Try the different options in the drop-down menu.

Last edited:

jimdtg

I don't think that problem came from compatible issue.

Josh, please try to uninstall and install Flexi. if you still get that error, please send msg to me.

FrankW

Windows 7 isn‘t supported by Flexi 8.1 (you should have Flexi 8.5 or higher).

Try to install in XP compatibilty mode.

josh sayer

I have just tried all the above but no luck. I was told flexi sign 8.1 works with xp or windows 7 as the person I brought my cutter from used to run it on windows 7.

player

I have just tried all the above but no luck. I was told flexi sign 8.1 works with xp or windows 7 as the person I brought my cutter from used to run it on windows 7.
Keep trying the compatibility modes. Run as administrator as well. What version of Win7 do you have?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
There might be something wrong with your computer, hardware failure or software issue. You may need to run a hard drive check or memory check. If those pass you may need to clean install your Windows.

I have Flexi Sign Pro 8.1 running on Windows 7 and Windows 10 just fine with no problems. You should be able to install it without having to do compatibility mode in Windows 7 (or even 10 for that matter).

For those that say it can't run it or you need to do something special install, frankly they haven't tried it and don't know what their talking about.

player

There might be something wrong with your computer, hardware failure or software issue. You may need to run a hard drive check or memory check. If those pass you may need to clean install your Windows.

I have Flexi Sign Pro 8.1 running on Windows 7 and Windows 10 just fine with no problems. You should be able to install it without having to do compatibility mode in Windows 7 (or even 10 for that matter).

For those that say it can't run it or you need to do something special install, frankly they haven't tried it and don't know what their talking about.
It may be the version of Win7. ie: Pro VS Home...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It may be the version of Win7. ie: Pro VS Home...

If you don't have actual experience with Flexi 8.1 and Windows 7 you don't have to feel the need to just throw out whatever possibility you think there may be. Its great you want to participate and try to help, but if you don't personally have experience with Flexi 8.1 and Windows 7 your the blind leading the blind.

I've run Flexi 7.6 and 8.1, the latter for almost a decade. I've installed it probably 30 times over the years on various versions of Windows... so I have a little experience with the OP's situation. Never did I need to install it in compatibility mode or anything and yes, it does run fine on Windows 7 and Windows 10. The troubleshooting must be directed at either the windows installation, hardware that could be failing, or maybe damaged installation media.

Last edited:

player

If you don't have actual experience with Flexi 8.1 and Windows 7 you don't have to feel the need to just throw out whatever possibility you think there may be. Its great you want to participate and try to help, but if you don't personally have experience with Flexi 8.1 and Windows 7 your the blind leading the blind.

I've run Flexi 7.6 and 8.1, the latter for almost a decade. I've installed it probably 30 times over the years on various versions of Windows... so I have a little experience with the OP's situation. Never did I need to install it in compatibility mode or anything and yes, it does run fine on Windows 7 and Windows 10. The troubleshooting must be directed at either the windows installation, hardware that could be failing, or maybe damaged installation media.
You are the new Forum Boss.

Although I owned and used Flexi before it was Flexi, (Casmate) and then they changed the name to Inspire shortly before Flexi bought them out, and on and on, I will never answer another Flexi question here knowing you, The Forum Boss will answer every question better than I, a mere Flexi user for the last 20+ years with 2 full versions running in my shop could. What was I thinking?

While you re-installed Windows and bought new computers, I was able to screw around with compatibility settings to get it to work. But now that I have heard from "The Forum Boss" I will always re-install Windows if I need to install a program.

Congratulations on being The Forum Boss.

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

There actually used to be a distinction on Flexi's website on using Home v. Pro versions of the Windows OS on what was or wasn't supported. While technically it would have been possible to install on Home version, support may not have been there once they knew that you were running Home as some functionality (networking) is not available. It would be like how some software vendors don't support software installation in VMs versus direct on hardware. It may install in the VM, but have a problem, support may not be quite as forthcoming.

This particular error, since it's happening on trying to install, is it a pirated copy of the program?

XP Compatibility mode would probably be my best bet. I would not use the run as admin function.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'm running on a Home version and on a Pro version.

Home and Pro on an architecture level are the same thing. Pro has more "ad-ons" like bit locker, and networking control features then home.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Thank you Forum Boss. That's how I got it to work, but The Great Forum Boss has spoken.

If you keep trying the same thing on a computer and end up getting different results, you may have hardware problems.

1+1 will always equal two on a working computer, but if you have hardware failure, the computer may produce random incorrect answers, giving different results. Might need to get your PC checked out.

WildWestDesigns

I'm running on a Home version and on a Pro version.

Home and Pro on an architecture level are the same thing. Pro has more "ad-ons" like bit locker, and networking control features then home.

I didn't say that it wasn't possible to install, I was talking about support issue and there used to be a distinction on Flexi's website, so apparently there was something missing or hinky that they didn't want to deal with troubleshooting it at the time. Doesn't mean that you couldn't get it to install.

player

If you keep trying the same thing on a computer and end up getting different results, you may have hardware problems.

1+1 will always equal two on a working computer, but if you have hardware failure, the computer may produce random incorrect answers, giving different results. Might need to get your PC checked out.
The Great Forum Boss has spoken.

WildWestDesigns

Home and Pro on an architecture level are the same thing.

Speaking of archs:

OP: Do you have 32bit or 64 bit Windows? If I'm not mistaken Flexi 8.5 was the earliest to support both (while I do believe Flexi itself is still a 32bit program, there are certain libraries that 32 bit OSs have (16 bit code etc) that are not available in 64 bit archs and depending on the program (and version of said program), they may be looking for those libraries).

FrankW

Do you now what the phrase "brainstorming" means? As it looks like you don't. Every experience with installing older software on newer operating systems could help.

Blaming people who are trying to help is a really bad idea on a forumboard like Signs101, creating an atmosphere who people start thinking twice before posting and trying to help because some guys blame suggestions which are not helpful at the end could destroy discussions. Funny that one starts this behaviour who don't even have a solution themselves except things like "cracking a nut with a sledgehammer"-clean installs.

@ josh sayer:

Do you try to install it directly from CD? Could be that there is something corrupt (these CD's are now up to 10 years old). Copy the install files to your hard drive ... if you get an error message, you have your answer. If not, try to run the installer from your hard drive.