• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems laminating UV Prints

Dr. Decal

Hello Everybody,

I have run into a bit of a problem and will try to explain the best I can. I am working on a large box truck wrap for our company's paper supplier.
Our printer has been having terrible problems printing solids and is under an active call with Roland and no progress has been made. (*not why I'm here)
The paper company had the wrap printed for me at their headquarters with a Mimaki UV printer on Avery MPI1105 SuperCast EZRS . I am only familiar with Roland Eco-Solvent prints and this is my first time working with UV. They did not have a laminator, so they sent the printed wrap to me for lamination (Avery DOL1460Z) and installation.
I have a pretty low quality laminator to work with myself (employee not owner). After laminating the first print, I noticed anywhere I touched the material left a permanent fingerprint or pressure marks. It appears to have left a lot of air underneath the laminate which I assumed was too light of pressure from the laminator. The laminator we have here, has no form of pressure adjustments.
Our print equipment supplier is nearby, and had a floor model of an Emblem Expert 140C Laminator. They agreed to let me demo the laminator by having me run this job through their floor model. The heavier pressure I was able to apply was much better than my first attempt. However, you could still see faint finger prints and marks anywhere the print is touched. The fingerprints can't be squeegeed or cleaned away that I can tell.
The second printer was not heat assisted, and I am thinking that heat assistance is necessary for UV printed panels. Just trying to figure out what is going on here and the best solution.

TL;DR
I'm getting fingerprints anywhere I touch the media, after laminating UV printed panels.

*The fingerprints are from touching the laminated panel. Not there before laminating. Any pressure applied post lamination makes a mark, and can't seem to squeegee or roller them away.

IvanDD

is this in addition to the typical "silvering" effect of cold laminators. Can you share some pictures?

Dr. Decal

Yes it is in addition to the normal silvering. You can write your name on the finished print with your finger. I can't share photos at the moment, I don't have a camera or phone with me today.

Bly

That's the nature of UV print.
It's textured.
They supplied the prints - their problem.

Tattoosleeve

Have you tried heat gunning it to see if the fingerprint disappears? After install giving it a pass with the heat gun or letting it sit out int he sun for a bit may resolve it?

kanini

You need a special laminate for uv prints, the ink is so textured and sits "on top" of the material so I guess the laminates for uv prints have thicker glue layer or something. As mentioned, this is not going to end well and if you get it applied it's a big risk the laminate will fail.

Edit: sorry, re-read and saw you are in fact using 1460z which should work with UV inks but the data sheet specifies heat assist and increased pressure so I guess that's your culprit. What happens if you heat it somewhat with a heat gun?

Last edited:

signman315

Signmaker
Ok so this is a terrible situation....first of all do not wrap vehicles with UV ink, simply not it's intended use and it will not turn out well. Laminating UV prints is something we do all the time here for a specific type of wall graphic we produce...it silvers really bad if you don't do it just right. There are special laminates that will work without any special techniques, they are expensive and I personally don't use them. Heat assist is helpful for laminating UV, heavy pressure is also helpful, but it will still silver on matte finish laminates. Go to a gloss (generally preferred for vehicle wraps anyway) and the silvering is unnoticeable. Also most silvering will lessen or even disappear after the laminate has settled onto the print for a few days. But to be honest I think silvering is your smallest problem here, it's a big NO NO to use a UV print on a vehicle. I will UV print vinyl and laminate it when being applied to a flat interior wall of an office or building but absolutely hard rule to never use UV on a vehicle.

MikePro

+1 to trying to wrap with UV prints ending in heartache, as stated above. UV inks are brittle, and will crack beneath the laminate as you stretch/conform to curves. its worth a shot, if that's what's been provided to you, but your client should be informed of the why&how their printed graphic will have artifacts in the finished product.

dale911

President
I see a lot of people saying not to use UV ink on a wrap, and that is generally the case, but now Mimaki and 3m partnered up to develop ink for wrapping. The LUS-200 ink for the Mimaki UCJV300 is certified by both 3m and Avery with their wrap materials for wrapping vehicles. The ink has 200% stretch capability and is warranted under both manufacturer's warranties for vehicle wraps.