• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems perf cutting on a GR-640

Quad State

Hi Everyone,

We've got a brand new (6 months old) Roland GR-640 that Im developing a love hate relationship with. For the most part, it cuts great but lately we've ran into a problem with perf cutting laminated vinyl. I had a similar problem about 2 weeks ago with just cut vinyl, ran a software update, and its been good until now.

I started with a 60 blade, ran pressure tests and ended up WAY to high(270 in versaworks) without cutting through the backer. I switched to a 45 thinking i'd get more actual blade surface, lowered the pressure quite a bit to 180 and it cut clean through. Then, backed off to 170 and it didnt get through the vinyl, met in the middle at 175 and were back to clean through in some places, and not cutting at all in others. After all that, mid cut, it decides to pick up and travel to a random location and plunge right into the middle of one of the graphics.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3895.jpg
    IMG_3895.jpg
    793.9 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_3896.jpg
    IMG_3896.jpg
    850.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_3894.jpg
    IMG_3894.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_3893.jpg
    IMG_3893.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 185

pinkiss

only thing that springs to mind maybe adjusting speed for slower cutting as to reduce any drag, ive gs24 cutter and test function is rubbish does perfect cut say on 110 for htv , run a job and it slices trough like a cake.

Quad State

Thanks for the reply! I should have mentioned I also lowered the cut speed to about 15. The decals in question were 14"x11" So I wouldnt think that would be to much for the machine to handle. I'll be getting hold of Roland today to see what they have to say about the issue and will make an attempt to post findings here to help anyone else that may have the same issue.

GTSTech_1

Make sure the blade is properly in place, had a customer once who lost the magnetic tip for the blade holder, and when he tried cutting the blade would push into the blade holder. Also need to change your offset when changing blades. 45deg=. .25 offset 60deg= .50 offeset. What suggestions did Roland have?

Just my .02

Quad State

I actually did try a few different blade offsets ( I should have mentioned that) and it didnt make much of a difference. I ended up getting hold of Roland and they mentioned it could be a faulty board or some wiring inside the machine itself. A tech is scheduled for tomorrow.

Quad State

So we had a tech finally come out for this situation and discovered that we were losing data somewhere between the rip and the machine. We put in a shorter cable and everything has worked great ever since. The Roland tech even mentioned that he'd seen a few similar situations before. It sounds like longer cables just cant trasmit the data fast enough for the machine and information gets lost/skipped.

CanuckSigns

So we had a tech finally come out for this situation and discovered that we were losing data somewhere between the rip and the machine. We put in a shorter cable and everything has worked great ever since. The Roland tech even mentioned that he'd seen a few similar situations before. It sounds like longer cables just cant trasmit the data fast enough for the machine and information gets lost/skipped.

That seems strange to me, the cut file for a plotter is a few KB at most, plus I think most plotters would store the data onboard rather than pull the data over the network like a printer does. I'm glad it's working now though.

Quad State

Thats what we thought too. I basically told the tech i didnt believe him at all. We put a new cable on and havent had a single issue with it since.