• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems with Oracal 3751RA

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I've three rolls, all returned, in the last two weeks that appear to be contaminated. The 3rd roll I received last night and attempted to print this morning. All from Fellers, different warehouses, different lot numbers.

The ink develops a plethora of small fish-eyes everywhere. I've run off the first few feet of each of the three rolls and tried again. No joy. The same job, the same printer, the same profile, prints perfectly on a leftover stub roll of the same media as well as every other media in my shop. I've been printing on this media for years and never had a problem until now.

Does anyone here use this media and, if so, have you experienced any problems recently?

niksagkram

Last two rolls, the first 4 feet or so did that to me. After that was just fine. Thought it was my printer.... now I know I'm not the only one. :(

Happened to me with a roll of 3951RA recently. First 4-5 feet was all contaminated. Then the rest of the roll was contaminated on the last 3 inches of the left side of the roll (looking at it from the front of the printer). Sucked having to sit behind the printer and wipe the edge of the media before it went through the printer.

:banghead::frustrated:

Sign Works

I got a roll of 3751GRA in August from Grimco that was contaminated. Went back to Fellers without any bad rolls since.

tim99

over the past 4 months i returned several rolls as well, to several different suppliers.. I don't know what Oracal is doing but they need to get this problem solved. I have another roll coming in Monday and i am hoping its good. otherwise ill most likely switch to Avery and give up on 3751RA all together.

Cranniga1

Happens to me with 3951 RA all the time, first 4 feet or so are trash, I complained to Fellers and they got me in touch with an Oracal Rep who just sent us the equivalent of a sample roll. Thinking about switching to something else.

2B

We had the same thing happen to us June / July through Grimco. it total went through 3-4 rolls before we got one that was halfway decent.

Since then Grimco has been pushing Avery and the price point has been very appealing

31legen

Had this very same problem app 10 months ago. Ended up switching to 3951ra. Recently had the same problem on the left of the roll like previously mentioned. I also do a lot of "OVERSIZE LOAD" decals and had a problem with there 751. Oracal has a real problem with there vinyl across the board.

ams

Weird I haven't had this issue. Report it to Oracal and not the supplier. Perhaps it's old vinyl and not fresh?

Snydo

We print a ton of Oralite 5700 in 48" and I automatically cut off the first 5 feet and save it for cut jobs. Otherwise your just wasting ink due to the mottling, and what ever the contaminate is, cleaning thoroughly with isopropyl does almost nothing to it. Of course if you read the spec sheet it says its not digitally printable but it prints beautifully after the devils cut.

The funny thing is we run many hundreds of rolls of 3651/3641 per year and I've never had this issue arise so it seems to be something in the cast vinyl line.

Signed Out

We have gotten 3 bad rolls of 3751ra in the last 2 days. Trying to print a couple trailer wraps and this isn't helping. Fellers keeps swaping them out but the rolls are contaminated. 10' into the roll and horrible modeling. What would be the closest match 3m has?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I called Fellers and talked to my assigned sales being, I never knew I had one, and she touted AVERY MPI1105EZRS. Gave me a hell of a price relative to the catalog price. Haven't tried it yet but I will in the near future.

Anything that prints would be better than the seemingly endless bad rolls of Oracal and the concomitant trips to UPS to send them back.

Patentagosse

IJ40 probably. Sold as Premium calendred, 7 years I think... Otherwise it will be IJ180 which is cast but more expensive (in the 3951 range).

Patentagosse

I also ran into contamination on 5600 reflective few years ago. Oracal Canada always back me up and fix the problem quickly. They also sent many yards over to compensate for waste of time and ink.

'Had problems with 3751RA also but not regarding contamination. I experienced an adhesive problem. I printed a full wrap for a car, positioned the side and started to peel the backing and as it touched the paint, it litteraly welded to it like if I had wipe the car with adhesive promoter. It was insane. We were 2 guys trying to pull off the firts feet of the 54" that just touched the surface and had to put a foot on tire to pull back with all our strengt 'til laminated media break in our hands. 'Made a video for Oracal rep. to make sure he'll get my point and believe me. 'Sold as "new repositionable adhesive" in the litterature... I joked saying "I wouldn't try the regular one"...

Now I use IJ180 (cast) for quality / long term / wrap jobs (and dark color vehicles) and Avery MPI2903EZ (calendred) for basically all other "regular" jobs and panels. So far so good...