Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just In Product examples/situaions where you WOULDN'T need lamination

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Mascitti Bro, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Mascitti Bro

Mascitti Bro New Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Williamstown Vt
    While we're waiting for our new equipment upgrade to arrive, ( going from just 30" cutter to 54" printer/cutter combo) I thought this would be a great time to gain some knowledge from you experienced folks on here. We know a laminator is a must (and will also be coming in the weeks following) but what are some situations where a laminant "isn't" a must?? (background; we do primarily truck/race car lettering, and will offer cut decals done in company logos once the new equipment is up and running.) NOTE; Just received a sample from the equipment mfg. of what this thing will print/cut, etc., and the sample product they sent does not appear to have a laminant on it.

Tags:
  2. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    Eco, or latex?

3. unclebun

unclebun Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Osage Beach, MO
    We don't do lamination on cheap decals meant for giveaways at driver meet/greets. We don't laminate banners. We don't laminate coroplast signs (they are cheap and meant to be temporary). We don't laminate indoor trade show graphics.

We do laminate anything going on outdoor signs meant to be "permanent". We laminate anything going on vehicles. We laminate decals meant for sticking outside or on vehicles.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mascitti Bro

Mascitti Bro New Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Williamstown Vt
    Sorry, Eco...

5. Mascitti Bro

Mascitti Bro New Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Williamstown Vt
    Ok, great info. Sounds like my best bet is if I want to do some random small decals w/o lamination, I should do some "test mules" and stick them on my own back window of one of our vehicles to see what the longevity will be. (unless someone already knows that time frame?) Also, what type of cleaner would we avoid on a non-laminated small decal??

6. eahicks

eahicks Very Active Member

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    Longevity of window decals depends mostly on the vinyl you use, not the ink. I've printed decals that lasted 6-7 years and some that lasted 6 months. All depends on the type of vinyl. If you laminate, then they will last a very long time, again depending on the the vinyl AND laminate type.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    I personally wouldn't put anything in the yard any longer than a week without lamination.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    You laminate basically, everyrhing. Indoor stuff, not so much. Things for short term use, up to you. Anything going on a vehicle, yes. Any cleaners will ruin your print, other than water for rinsing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jester1167

Jester1167 Very Active Member

Be aware that unlaminated solvent prints will stick together if you stack them face to face especially when it is hot. Simple fix is to save the liner and use it as a slip sheet in-between.

10. krosbonez

krosbonez New Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Austin, TX
    We laminate almost everything. Not only for the protective qualities, but for application/fabrication. Lam'ed prints install faster and with less issues, which more than doubles production. There are only a few instances where we would not laminate. We stock different lams for this though....some really cheap stuff for coro signs and then quality stuff for the other.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    If you're working with dirt track cars don't bother with laminate. Those cars only look good for one day.;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SheBeau

SheBeau Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Have you considered using a spray laminate in the interim? Although it wouldn’t solve everything, it would widen your capabilities.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mascitti Bro

Mascitti Bro New Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Williamstown Vt
    Ohh, nice tip- thanks for that.

14. Mascitti Bro

Mascitti Bro New Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Williamstown Vt
    -More good stuff, thank you!!

15. Mascitti Bro

Mascitti Bro New Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Williamstown Vt
    -Will try to read more about this option-thx!

16. Mascitti Bro

Mascitti Bro New Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Williamstown Vt
    'Thing is, i'm concerned about my customer afterwards using some random thing to wipe-off his car, then the color/ink smearing, coming off, etc. , but yeah, I get it-they get covered in mud in no-time...

17. axelmk

axelmk New Member

Sep 18, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Give your customer TWO prices, with and without laminate. Let them choose their price point.
    Some customers rather pay more and play it safe and some other will take risks, if they choose not to laminate the responsibility falls on them. It will always be better to laminate, for longevity and installation purposes, but let the customer choose based on their budget.
    it always depends on the application.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. #racewraps

#racewraps Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Grand Rapids
    We don’t let anything of a sticker or decal except certain wall graphics or short term interior use only products without lam. Not worth it. If it’s too expensive for the customer they shouldn’t be buying it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    Exactly!!!

We do this and it has made all the difference. The customers have the option and they can decide what is best by price and the longevity.
    We do show them the difference and what they can expect.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Laminate everything except for when the client insists on not paying for it.

Obviously, lamination may not be needed for cheap give-a-ways or short-term events, but it is the responsibility of the vendor to explain that to the customer, and the obligation of the customer to clearly insist that he does not want it. You might want to write up a little fact/care sheet and maybe even have them sign it.