• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Profiling OWV Film

promoart

Since the One Way Vision Film has the black back and high percentage of the actual vinyl goes away when you remove the back, what the best approach to create an accurate color profile ?

For Mesh banner which is similar we used transmissive mode in Caldera which generates a darker profile but when you remove the back and light come through the wholes the color lights up and matches the intended colors.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
This is 1 media i haven't had much experience with profiling. I have half a roll left sitting around, but i've just used another profile for a similar material, but not perforated and worked fine.

When creating a profile, all measuring should be done the way it's intended to be viewed.

What spectrophotometer are you using?

transmissive readings are usually for materials that are backlit.

promoart

This is 1 media i haven't had much experience with profiling. I have half a roll left sitting around, but i've just used another profile for a similar material, but not perforated and worked fine.

When creating a profile, all measuring should be done the way it's intended to be viewed.

What spectrophotometer are you using?

transmissive readings are usually for materials that are backlit.

We are using Caldera TotalColor. You are correct, but the question is how do you read it. I mean lets say you clearly read it as reflexive ( front lit), you print the film, read it and generate the profile. I am curious once you print the film, remove the back which means 40-50% of the overall print, apply it on a window, will the colors be like the ones intended ?

Pretty much is trial and error until the colors match.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
So technically you're using a Barbieri LFP.

Depends where it's going. I know you would stick it on mostly glass. But it differs, like heavily tinted or does a lot of light shine though it.

Easiest way is to read it straight off the printer, leave the back on.

(you must read it with the back on for ink restrictions and a big aperture 8mm)

for the icc profile, if you plan on sticking it to heavily tinted glass. then remove the back and stick it to something black to simulate the tinted window.
Stick it to something white (with no OBAs) if the window has light coming through.

This will be all hit and miss though. so you cannot guarantee accurate results.

I'd also be using the 8mm aperture for the icc profile in reflection mode.

promoart

Thanks for the info. We try our best to come up with a profile for general use, like you said colors will not be 100% accurate since the locations where the films is applied differs: coloured glass, car windows etc... We were thinking to test 2 options :

1. scan it as it is from the printer ( with back on)
2. apply it on a transparent film and scan

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I don't think transmissive scan is a good option. Doesn't hurt to try. But initially to make it work you'll have to stick it to glass that has a lot of light coming though. Like inside and office and the sun is directly at the window (real world application)