• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Profiling reflective with an eye-one

the graphics co

I can't get the eye one to read the reflective. Every time I press the button to measure the test it tells me to recalibrate the eye one. I then recalibrate to a white tile, and try again with the same results, can anyone help me on this?

Hotspur

Profiling Reflective Substrates

Hi

You can't profile reflective - not only in the physical sense (i.e.the spectro can be confused as you have seen) but more importantly even if you got the i1 to behave the results would be meaningless.

By its nature the reading will be done at a specific angle (45 degrees I think) from one direction only. If you read it from another rotation the results would be different.

When you add in the inability of ICC to handle more than a single colour at any one time and the impossibility to control the viewing conditions / angles of the print the exercise becomes meaningless.

You are better off going through your existing profile library and running some test prints to see what looks OK - in terms of ink levels and colour and sticking with that.

Sorry but it's something that we can't do with any meaningful result currently.

When handling reflective output there are some systems you can buy to "control" the colour but its not colour management in the normal sense.

These systems simply help you to print out a wide range of repeatable sample swatches in various ink levels and variations. These are sent to the customer to choose the colour he wants - then that colour is printed out.

However this isn't the same as building a profile as that colour match only applies to that particular installation and isn't a "standard" that applies to other output devices or print shops.

the graphics co

Thank you for the detailed response, that is very helpful and makes perfect sense.

I will just run through a handful of current profiles until i find something suitable.