• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Proper fabric for tradeshow displays

cmykpro

Looking for some input. We recently ordered several variations of trade show displays from WSdisplay(free standing 10'x10' and 10' diameter ceiling hung banner, circular).

I want to print the images for these in house but have never attempted these large pieces before. I believe that the Neschen VersaFabric might do the trick on our eco-solvent S70. However the price is astronomical for that fabric and I was curious if anyone else had any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
WS uses direct to print machines so it will be very hard to do the stuff on your own without the same type of equipment and the prints you will get off the machine you have now will never look as good as the dye sub and direct to fabric machines unfortunately.

Looking for some input. We recently ordered several variations of trade show displays from WSdisplay(free standing 10'x10' and 10' diameter ceiling hung banner, circular).

I want to print the images for these in house but have never attempted these large pieces before. I believe that the Neschen VersaFabric might do the trick on our eco-solvent S70. However the price is astronomical for that fabric and I was curious if anyone else had any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Solvent inks (including eco-solvent) tend to be less than ideal for printing on most fabrics. In order for the ink/ media chemistry to work, the fabric needs to be coated to allow the ink to set. This coating tends to dramatically raise the price of the media, and also often times changes the way that the media feels and drapes (called the Hand).

Printing to textiles with solvent inks requires that the fabric be solvent-coated, and that is why other ink chemistry (dye sublimation, UV curing, and latex) can be a better option for a whole range of reasons.

cmykpro

Very good info, thanks gents. We also have a UV flatbed so I'm assuming that may be better suited? My only issue is our flatbed is only 4'x8'. Can anyone reccomend a good UV fabric to use?

sballinger

If I read the original post right, you want to print the fabric for a 10' Diameter Circular Hanging Sign. I will recommend against UV printing due to how it will effect the "hand" of the fabric and getting proper tension for those signs. I make tension fabric signs at least once a month (last month is was 5). We print most of the fabric on our HP LX850 or have it outsourced transfer dye sub. Even latex fabrics get wear marks from the sewing machine and general handling. Neschen's fabrics are nice but not worth the cost compared to Fisher or Beaver. Do you plan on fabricating the pillowcase after you print it?

cmykpro

If I read the original post right, you want to print the fabric for a 10' Diameter Circular Hanging Sign. I will recommend against UV printing due to how it will effect the "hand" of the fabric and getting proper tension for those signs. I make tension fabric signs at least once a month (last month is was 5). We print most of the fabric on our HP LX850 or have it outsourced transfer dye sub. Even latex fabrics get wear marks from the sewing machine and general handling. Neschen's fabrics are nice but not worth the cost compared to Fisher or Beaver. Do you plan on fabricating the pillowcase after you print it?

I think it's fairly apparent these are new water to us however I am a firm believer in trying things first hand. Apparently I need more education on these types of signs as I have no idea what a "Pillowcase" is. I hope you guys can forgive my ignorance on this as i'm trying hard to learn as we go. Diversification into tradeshow printing has been high on my priority list and I hope I'm not biting off more then I can chew....

phototec

Yes, it's true you need special coated fabrics to print on using an eco-solvent printer and Fisher textiles has a very good selection of many different fabrics you can print on directly.

They offer one product "ES 400 LITE POLY" for trade show graphics that almost looks like die-sub fabric when printed on.

Check them out and order their sample swatch.

www.fishertextiles.com

:thumb:

[video=youtube;vsyNkjnxEAM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsyNkjnxEAM[/video]

Harry Shant

I want to print the images for these in the house but have never attempted these large pieces before. I believe that the Neschen VersaFabric might do the trick on our eco-solvent S70. However, the price is astronomical for that fabric and I was curious if anyone else had any other recommendations?

Yes, it's true you need specially coated fabrics to print using an eco-solvent printer. But, you are going to use Neschen VersaFabric then I don't think you need anything extra.