• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Proper Measure Tool in Ilustrator

Centro Graphics

This may already be well known though we have only just discovered it.

A proper measuring tool for illustrator, works really well, very similar to the signlab tool. Its a paid for ($25) 3rd party add on, but well worth it.

We have not used Signlab for years, though we were going to for showing measurements for a project, eeesh, see we were not missing anything. Back in the cupboard it goes.

Glad we found this one.

https://o2creative.co.nz/shop/Powerscripts/Add_Dimensions_PowerScript_for_Adobe_Illustrator

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Illustrator is not my program of choice for many reasons but dimensions are probably my number one. I would consider this a must have in the sign business.
p.s. I use a free macro in corel for this. many other macros too.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Its all we use for vector, we have never used corel in the 20 years been in business, could never see the attraction.

Multiple layouts on 1 page/artboard. No need for multi page or multi artboards
No need to set dimensions of the artboard each time a new doc is started. I can set Corel to start with nothing, start with broadsheet or any other custom size.
illy artboard max is 226" x 226"! Are you serious?! Roughly 18ft.-----Corel is 1800" x 1800" or 150ft x 150ft my friends, no need to use scaling.
Can export/save as/pdf any selected item/items without a workaround
Not bound to page boundaries or Artboard
Marquee selection without grabbing everything touched by the marquee but still have the option available
Dimensions have been a part of Corel's tools for 15 years.or more. No need for any third party plug-in
I can customize any keyboard shortcut combination I want. Illy is limited to the F keys only

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Tried downloading the trial and OS X refuses to expand the download program.

Just curious, does it do it Imperial scale?
Does it have call out options for 0'-00"
When you switch scales, does it freak out and revert your newly made measurements to the other scale?
Does it have the option of automatically figuring out square footage?

If it does do Imperial Scale and does square footage - it's a decent deal

I use CadTools... mostly because I can switch between Architectural and Engineer tools on the fly, I have multiple scales on a single document and get square footage... Corel can't do dat...

Centro Graphics

Tried downloading the trial and OS X refuses to expand the download program. Not sure about that, not that techy sorry

Just curious, does it do it Imperial scale? .......Yes
Does it have call out options for 0'-00" ........Yes
When you switch scales, does it freak out and revert your newly made measurements to the other scale?.....No
Does it have the option of automatically figuring out square footage?........Not Sure yet

If it does do Imperial Scale and does square footage - it's a decent deal.........Not sure yet

I use CadTools... mostly because I can switch between Architectural and Engineer tools on the fly, I have multiple scales on a single document and get square footage... Corel can't do dat...

Hope this helps!?

crny1

Trial works fine for me. Messed around with it and definately worth the $25
I downloaded the trial for Cadtools and it never could work out the sq ft correctly. a simple 12"x12" square would show the wrong sq ft. Worked with thier tech support back and forth and never could get it to work and then they proceeded to tell me to purchase it and then they would figure out why it wasnt working. Poor customer service in my opinion. I am not going to pay that price for something they couldnt get working during the trial period.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Tried downloading the trial and OS X refuses to expand the download program. Not sure about that, not that techy sorry

Just curious, does it do it Imperial scale? .......Yes
Does it have call out options for 0'-00" ........Yes
When you switch scales, does it freak out and revert your newly made measurements to the other scale?.....No
Does it have the option of automatically figuring out square footage?........Not Sure yet

If it does do Imperial Scale and does square footage - it's a decent deal.........Not sure yet

Hope this helps!?

Thats sucks, yeah thats a chunk of change to lay out if it didn't work...

Out of curiosity, did you have it in the correct layer to read the 12" x 12" box?
Obviously they had you look at the "CadTracker" window...

crny1

Yes I did have it in the correct layer and was using cad tracker window. We went step by step together to try to resolve it. THe main reason I wanted it was for the sq ft numbers. I do a lot of ODD shapes that are nightmares to figure out the sq ft on.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I use Astute Graphics' VectorScribe 3 plug-in for Illustrator to do a number of different measuring chores, particularly path area. Adobe Illustrator has a built-in way to determine path lengths, but not path area. VectorScribe can do a bunch of other cool stuff. It costs £35 ($45.80 current exchange rate).

WildWestDesigns

I use Astute Graphics' VectorScribe 3 plug-in for Illustrator to do a number of different measuring chores, particularly path area. Adobe Illustrator has a built-in way to determine path lengths, but not path area. VectorScribe can do a bunch of other cool stuff. It costs £35 ($45.80 current exchange rate).

+1