• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Protecting my truck from Az. Sun ????

decalman

I am leaving my work truck in storage for 5 months.
I live near Phoenix. Summer here is brutal. The temperature gets up to
117 degrees. You can cook food on the sidewalk. The sun kills everything, especially paint. I spent hours online looking for a cover. It's hard to fit my truck size because of the ladder racks.
The covered storage places charge more than I can afford. I'm on a LOW BUDGET.

I was thinking........what's a very low tack vinyl that I can slap on quick and easy. Bubbles and creases, not a problem. I'm ripping it off again in 5 months.I just don't want to leave a bunch of glue.

I'm also considering slapping on some old Oracle , but just trimming an inch of backing and leaving the rest of the paper on. Is this insane ?
Your bright ideas are most welcome. :eek:

decalman

Pad anything sharp with shop rags/tape, throw on a silver tarp and bungees from Harbor Freight.

Not gonna get any cheaper or easier. Make sure to use the 20% off coupons;)
Never thought of that...... thanks much. This is my....cup of tea.
Gulp, golly.. I gotta ask around for some coupons.:)

equippaint

Use a tarp and you'll come back to a ruined paint job with scratches all over it. Just leave it like it is, automotive paint can take the sun.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Use a tarp and you'll come back to a ruined paint job with scratches all over it. Just leave it like it is, automotive paint can take the sun.

That's what I was thinking. If this is a work truck what's the big deal? Texas is no different and cars seem to survive here just fine. Very rare I see a car with paint problems, even old ones. I think your over thinking this, but that's just what I think, don't ya think so?

Johnny Best

The sun is not bad on trucks, it is the salt they put on roads when it is snowing that wreaks them.
Just don't park it under a tree where a lot of birds roost.
Best idea is the tarp.

decalman

The sun is not bad on trucks, it is the salt they put on roads when it is snowing that wreaks them.
Just don't park it under a tree where a lot of birds roost.
Best idea is the tarp.
Snow ? Salt ? What is that ?
I live in southern Arizona. Today the temperature is 109. It starts to get hot in July.
It'll be 115- 120. Don't tell me that this kind of beating sun doesn't effect the vehicle paint. It screw's it all up. Your correct about the tarp though.

E Coloney

What would you do if you drove to work every day and parked outside for the same 5 months? (Doesn't make any difference if you're there or not there. It's 5 more months of sun.)

equippaint

Considering this was posted 4 months ago, you can simply give it another month then just ask him what he did and the results.