• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

putting edge or molding on aluminum composite

petepaz

making a hanging sign for a customer.
hanging with straight arm sign bracket. the sign it self will be aluminum composite. just wondering if anyone puts an edge cap or some sort of molding on a sign like this? if so is it just for cosmetic purposes?
also what do you use?

thanks

Marlene

We used to use the molding but not any more. It looks nice for a while but it's hard to glue on and make it stay. If you can cut the material so the channels are on the sides, not on the bottom, it looks better. Dibond looks the best because of its solid core.

petepaz

We used to use the molding but not any more. It looks nice for a while but it's hard to glue on and make it stay. If you can cut the material so the channels are on the sides, not on the bottom, it looks better. Dibond looks the best because of its solid core.
thanks

Marlene

Some one did all the Hannaford stores cart return racks in their parking lots and used the molding on the signs. Within no time, the molding was coming off so it seems to be an issue. Has anyone had long term success and if so, what did you use to glue it to the panel?

Billct2

We use an aluminum channel ( from Outwater Plastics I think). It can be left as is, painted or covered with vinyl. Attache with lexel similar and a couple screws on each side, just to be sure.

Marlene

We use an aluminum channel ( from Outwater Plastics I think). It can be left as is, painted or covered with vinyl. Attache with lexel similar and a couple screws on each side, just to be sure.

That sounds a lot better than the plastic molding they sell for this.

Billct2

Yea, we gave up on that stuff, had same problems with failures mentioned, plus the colors turned to caca in short order.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For a hanging sign, you could try wrapping a piece of cast vinyl around it. Lap an 1/8", drape it over and back on the other side for 1/8". We've done that on 6mm and 10mm. Easier to do on the 10mm.