• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions PVC Cleaning

Hurricane Signs

Hurricane Signs
Greetings,
Does anyone know what to use to clean a sheet of pvc? If I let them sit in shop for a while they pick up dirt and lose the brightness.

Thanks.

flyplainsdrifta

no grit. its a polishing bonnet. almost like a soft microfiber or terry cloth. that and a industrial spray bottle of 99% alcohol that we get by the gallon at uline. theyre like 10 bucks for a pack of 2 buffer heads at home depot. the buffer itself was like $40 i think. i bought it a few years back because i was sick of cloth swab residue marks from wiping by hand, even after giving it a few to sit. the buffer does it so evenly and quickly im suprised more shops havent started using them. either way tho, the bonnets last about a month to 6 weeks. swap it. rinse. repeat.

TimToad

yeah dude it is a lifesaver. that way any corro, pvc, styrene, really any plastic not affected by 99% alcohol will be cleaned beautifully. can really use up all of the posssible material we can.

Does a buffer actually pick up any dirt or contaminates or does it just swirl them around?

On coro, I'd be worried about it rubbing the corona for direct printing off.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What do you mean by... they lose their brightness ?? They actually turn a different color ?? I have pieces laying around sometimes in a bin for 10 years and none of them lose any brightness. Have a bin which is 46" x 72" by about 36" tall and we stack a lotta offalls in there and we don't always clean it out right away. I just used some yesterday and they looked fine. Wiped them with a paper towel and some 91% alcohol and it printed just fine. Printed out about 20 11" x 14" signs for a customer. Didn't cost me a thing for substrate. Maybe about $3. in ink and about 1/2 hour of time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Does a buffer actually pick up any dirt or contaminates or does it just swirl them around?

On coro, I'd be worried about it rubbing the corona for direct printing off.

For the most part, after about 15 days, the corona on most Cor-X starts to decay and falls off anyway. That's why having large quantities laying around for direct print isn't worth it, unless you have a corona machine of your own.​