• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PVC Cut Letters - Non Stock Colors

Tony Rome

Have a question.
I have a customer that ones some PVC cut letters for an interior office wall. It is not a stock color so I thought I would just print and apply to the pre-routed PVC, BUT....
I just saw a display somewhere and there is no way these people had it done that way. It was like the PVC was printed on directly. There was no evidence of bleed or anyway to pick the top layer off. What am I missing how or where is this done?
Thanks!

TXFB.INS

if it is a non standard color, we have spray painted the PVC letters AFTER they are cut, this way the face and sides are all the same color

Tony Rome

Very good. Makes sense. Thank you!
If I need a specific pantone can I just go to Lowes or HD and have them mix it and put it in a spry can...or has that technology not been invented yet?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If it's not all that bigga job, you can buy home-made rattle cans (but they're glass, not metal) at Home Depot or Lowes, have them mix your paint, put it into the bottles and spray away. They're called Preval. It's a canister of compressed air and a bottle......... and cheap. We have many of them here at the shop. They don't spritz, drip or spit. Does a very nice job, with oil based, latex or acrylic.

Martin Denton

if it was just vinyl on the face and not the sides, we would just lay the vinyl on the substrate first and then route it, your router tool will get a nice clean edge

millersigns

Owner at Miller signs
Have a question.
I have a customer that ones some PVC cut letters for an interior office wall. It is not a stock color so I thought I would just print and apply to the pre-routed PVC, BUT....
I just saw a display somewhere and there is no way these people had it done that way. It was like the PVC was printed on directly. There was no evidence of bleed or anyway to pick the top layer off. What am I missing how or where is this done?
Thanks!
When we need a specific color for routed pvc letters we go to our local Car Quest and get them to mix the paint for us. We use automotive paint that does not need a catylist and we use a Preval spray system for small jobs. Super nice finish. If the color does not have to be a perfect match we use Krylon for plastic spray paint.

Attachments

• IMG_1721.jpg
    IMG_1721.jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 163

Marlene

If the sides were a different color, there's a good chance the PVC was printed on directly by something like OCE printer. When you say pre-routed PVC, are you routing it? If not, have them professionally spray painted where you get your letters done, Gemini or Poly Plastics and don't rattle can then unless you are rally good with that or they will look like crap.

ADuke

There are also local Sherwin Williams paint stores that will match and mix paints for you. They also carry the Preval Spray cans (or guns) that will hold up to 16 oz of paint (Gino mentioned previous post).

KMC

Graphic Artist
we have done a project like this where we direct printed the PVC on our flatbed printer and then sent the board through to our CnC router

Billct2

I was going to say flatbed print and then rout as has been mentioned. We just spray them, but I hate painting pvc, prefer to use acrylic if it's in the budget.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
we have done a project like this where we direct printed the PVC on our flatbed printer and then sent the board through to our CnC router
That doesn't take care of the edges though...how you gonna print the same color on the edges?

LEE Bushee

I will help where I can. 30 years in Sign Business
We always use Matthews Tiebond plastic primer and then shoot either the cut letters or sheet prior to routing with Matthews Satin. N. Glantz mixes us any color in either quart or Gallon to match PMS, etc. To date (10 years+) we have never had a color issue which the extra cost has paid for the hassle factor.