• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PVC signs

Nick Nie

Hi All:

My customer is asking for several the PVC signs, however we will need to put the magnetic strip on the backside, i have noticed that PVC surface seems not ideal for adhesive, we tried VHB tape to mount the magnetic strip, but still can be peeled off by hand, any tricks or tips on how to make the adhesive stronger?

Many thanks!

How long are you letting the VHB set before you try to peel it off by hand. VHB has a bonding/curing time for the adhesive. Once exposed to air it starts the process. It takes about 20 minutes to reach 50% and a full 24 hours to hit 90%. It's not fully bonded for 72 hours. There are also different adhesive types on VHB tape and they do make one for low energy plastics. 4952 VHB

https://www.bindingsource.com/images/Customer-files/HowtoUseVHB.pdf

Nick Nie

How long are you letting the VHB set before you try to peel it off by hand. VHB has a bonding/curing time for the adhesive. Once exposed to air it starts the process. It takes about 20 minutes to reach 50% and a full 24 hours to hit 90%. It's not fully bonded for 72 hours. There are also different adhesive types on VHB tape and they do make one for low energy plastics. 4952 VHB

Thank you so much! i think i will need more patient on this VHB tape to fully bond to the PVC

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
I would be careful using the self adhesive mag strip on top of VHB. It may not be a problem, but in the past when I have tried to use one adhesive tape on top of another, it doesn't bond well over time. It begins to shear/slip with adhesive on adhesive. Adhesive is made to adhere 2 surfaces together...

gnubler

I need some more education on low energy plastics. Dealing with a failure on my sign from hell. Recently installed some smaller name plates made out of 1/16" engraving plastic sheet stock mounted with magnetic tape and you can see what happened. Half of them started falling off the board a few days ago. I checked out the backs of the larger name plates above done by another sign shop and it looks like they used some two sided tape to keep the magnets stuck on. I may try some vhb tape, but if that doesn't work, what kind of epoxy?

Attachments

• 20230110_131603.jpg
    20230110_131603.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 107

gnubler

I was surprised too. The bigger plates above made by another shop are nearly 3ft wide and held with tiny pieces of magnetic tape stuck on every 6" or so and they've apparently held for years. Mine are smaller and lighter and fell off in less than a month. Figures.

gnubler

The magnets stayed on the sign and the plastic plates just fell on the ground. :p

I stuck 3pcs of magnetic tape on mine, they are only about a foot wide. Here's some shots comparing the backs of the original aluminum plates with mine (black plastic). Looking closer it looks like whoever made the aluminum plates used some kind of epoxy on his magnets, I can see some residue. This must be my week for "low energy plastic" failure...dealt with it on the Yeti cooler decals also.

20230111_171843.jpg 20230111_171937.jpg

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
I need some more education on low energy plastics. Dealing with a failure on my sign from hell. Recently installed some smaller name plates made out of 1/16" engraving plastic sheet stock mounted with magnetic tape and you can see what happened. Half of them started falling off the board a few days ago. I checked out the backs of the larger name plates above done by another sign shop and it looks like they used some two sided tape to keep the magnets stuck on. I may try some vhb tape, but if that doesn't work, what kind of epoxy?
I've put a vinyl backer on engraving stock in the past to have a surface that VHB sticks to well. Test it first of course.

brdesign

I've found that using some PVC primer helps to make the tape stick better. I just use the PVC primer in the plumbing section