• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PVC

Josh Kuper

I'm trying to make some signs for an apartment complex, I usually sandblast HDU but the design calls for PVC. My supplier is telling me that PVC is meant for short term but I see other signs that are made from PVC. Is there a special way to treat/prime/paint the PVC?

Josh Kuper

I doubt it, some are post mounted so I'd be a little worried about someone walking by and knocking into HDU and breaking it

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
There are outdoor PVC's available. Komatex is ordered by one of our clients that always wants an outdoor durable product. Other products would be King Starboard or similar. Im not 100% but I believe they are Polyethylene...I may be incorrect as to the exact composition. Its marine grade.

Josh Kuper

Thanks, does Komatex hold up better outdoors than PVC, do you treat the edge with something. Were looking to cut the shapes out on 1/2" thick material

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
My client says it does. So I go with that. we typically use palram half inch...and I know its not outdoor durable as much as the komatex and we advise as such when selling it to clients. The komatex can be treated or sealed with a clear coat...I dont see why not. We dont have a spray booth here in our shop for wholesale.

This is a technical link for komatex from harbor: Technical Guide

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Whoever made the design and is calling for PVC, probably doesn't know any better. Now's the time to educate them. There are outdoor PVC's but once you start carving and sandblasting into them, they become weak and will not hold up near well, as when they are 100% full.

rossmosh

1. Following sheet specs is always a funny thing. Sometimes they're there for good reason and sometimes, not so much. If it makes sense to make the sign out of HDU, and you know how to make a good HDU sign, everyone will likely be better off with you just making it out of HDU and moving on.

2. PVC is not a material you blast. You CNC route it. You simply cannot blast it. It won't work.

3. Komatex IS NOT exterior grade PVC. Komacel is Kommerling's exterior grade PVC. A cheap trick to finding if a PVC sheet good is exterior grade is if it's glossy. Now this doesn't work all the time, but it works most of the time.

4. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using exterior PVC, in exterior sign applications. Like any material, it has it's pros and cons. HDU is hardly a perfect material. It's expensive, it's easy to damage, you can't screw into it, it's dusty, and has no grain structure which can result in warping. With that said, it's still a great material, just like PVC can be.

5. You do not need to treat the edge of exterior grade PVC. It's a cellular PVC. The water cannot soak into it. It won't rot.

6. Generally speaking, I'd stay away from 1/2" PVC for exterior signs. Great for interior, but exterior it's on the thin side. It will work in certain applications though. Smaller signs it's fine. Medium wall mount signs it should also be fine if you mount it properly. For medium sized signs, 3/4" PVC is what you want to buy. For medium to large signs, just buy the 1" PVC. It's cheaper than 20lb Duna and slightly more expensive than 15lb Duna at the same thickness. It's a competitively priced material all things considered. On large signs, you do have to make it correctly (just like HDU). Generally speaking once the signs start getting to be around 4x8, you're better off going with HDU. The weight on a big PVC sign is brutal compared to HDU.