• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question about Dreamstime stock photo sizes

GoodPeopleFlags

Occasionally I need to purchase stock photos. I've used Dreamstime in the past and like them. I've chosen some images for some banners and on a couple of them, the "Maximum" and ".tiff" size options are the same physical size and dpi but the .tiff cost 10 credits more. The .tiff file size is much larger, though. I contacted Dreamstime yesterday but haven't heard anything back yet and I need to get the banners going. Anyone here know why the .tiffs cost more than the same size and dpi of the maximum?

I'm using the images on 4'x6' banners. Will the .tiff image look better than the maximum size when blown up that large?

Attachments

• DTPicSize.PNG
    DTPicSize.PNG
    21.9 KB · Views: 225

rossmosh

JPEG/PNG compress images a lot more than TIFF. TIFF are pretty much raw images. A TIFF should scale better and be more versatile because it's uncompressed but in real life, it might not make that big of a difference.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Any file sold in TIF format by Dreamstime has been enlarged from the original JPG using "proprietary" software and has then been saved as a TIF file. The primary thing you are getting is the proprietary software enlargement. TIF uses "lossless" compression while JPG uses "lossy" compression. In lossy, pixels are actually deleted to reduce file size so that distortions and artifacts are present the more ties it is saved. With TIF lossless compression, this is not the case.

To demonstrate what Dreamstime is doing, I have taken one of my own files that is sold at Dreamstime and opened it in Photoshop and started an enlargement. Note that my original file was saved at 3,600 x 3,600 pixels. Enlarging it to 5,100 x 5,100 pixels results in the same 74.4 MB file size.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• dreamstime.jpg
    dreamstime.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 356
  • enlarge.jpg
    enlarge.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 357

GoodPeopleFlags

Soooo... in a case where the maximum and .tiff are the same physical size, the .tiff will look better at a larger scale? Just want to make sure I understand! :)