• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question about media profile

micgo

Hello. can anyone have an idea how to create your own "print media profile ? i m thinking of trying some china brand media to print on my JV3, the problem is they do not have any media profile.

4R Graphics

Well forst of all its not that simple to build a good profile second it requires special equipment (spectrophotometer) AKA i1 and depends on the rip you have some will allow you to build profiles such as Flexi and some require special software like rasterlink.

Do a search here on the forum there is so much info on it here alone that you should be able to do it if you really want to.

I build my own profiles and learned 70% of it here on the forum the rest from google and trial and error.

micgo

Hello Bearwen, thx alot for your fast reply. i m new to this. can u tell me what should i search for or can u give me a few link to start ?

sfr table hockey

More issues are when you are trying 3rd party inks and getting a profile to work with them. If you get good color now with the profiles you use, then you may be ok.

If you are just looking at different media then you may have to try a few of the profiles you have to find the best match. It should not be as big of a deal, however there are always some cases where cheaper media does not print as well and you will fight with it and only cause frustration.

To make profiles you might be looking at $1000 and up range to buy the equipment needed.

4R Graphics

As table Hockey said I would start out with trying profiles for other materials that are similar such as if your china vinyl is a calandered vinyl and is 2.5 mil try a profile for a vinyl like that such as Oracal 3651.

Try several profiles even if the materials are not the same if you get good prints and color then great you may need to adjust heat settings but that is a lot easier and cheaper than building profiles (and a lot less stressful in learning to build good profiles).

If you are really wanting to learn to build your own profiles the first question I have for you is What RIP are you using as this will dictate equipment needs.

You will need a spectrophotometer many people and myself use the Xrite i1 model.

Reply with what rip your using and I would be happy to help you learn what you need to know to build profiles.

I have built profiles using Profile Maker 5, Flexi Pro and Mimaki's MPM2 program.

Its funny that table hockey replied as some of the stuff I learned here on the forum was because of him so thanks Table Hockey for your posts and questions about profiles.