Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for Coro Screen Printers

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Farmboy, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Farmboy

Farmboy Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Auburn, NY
    I've tried many different adjustments and can't seem to get this problem to stop. Printing with corogloss ink on a lawson mustang. It doesn't always do it, but when it does it bothers the hell out of me. No one has complained about it...Yet. Any advice would be welcome.

yard sign.jpg

Tags:
  2. wedosigns

wedosigns Member

Sep 8, 2011
    You need to thin the ink out a bit to get cleaner edges.

3. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Yep, thinner ink.

4. sardocs

sardocs Active Member

Jun 17, 2005
    pender harbour bc
    Looks like static might be the issue. Try spritzing the back side of the coro with water or rapid tac.

5. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    It's static, try not having as much of an offset from your screen to material. If you thin your inks more it will only get worse.

6. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I guess we all have different names for this. This looks like the ink is too thick and you're not getting enough snap when you lift the screen. It's creating 'spidering'. When you lift the screen, it almost looks like cotton candy and then it falls onto the substrate.

It's an old way of creating effects, before computers and software ran the industry........... :rock-n-roll:

You can get this effect purposely using brushes, rollers and screen presses.

7. Farmboy

Farmboy Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Auburn, NY
    Majority rules. I don't thin it much from the can, so I'll try that first. Thanks.

8. Bill Modzel

Bill Modzel Active Member

I hate corogloss ink. It drys to fast, it spiders like you already know and it stinks.
    I tried NazDar's series 9800 Poly Plus polybanner ink about 20 years ago and never turned back. Prints wonderfully right out of the can. Durability and adhesion are fine. Dries on the substrate, not in the screen.

9. Farmboy

Farmboy Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Auburn, NY
    Update: Thinning seemed to do the trick. Next question, anyone have a UV Dryer they'd like to unload?

10. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Not so much thinning as you need a touch of retarder. Your ink is trying to dry in the screen. Retarder will thin the ink as well. Old **** rule of thumb, skinny ink in winter (thinner) stupid ink in summer(retarder). Be easy with the retarder, you don't want it to take forever to dry in the racks either.

11. wedosigns

wedosigns Member

Sep 8, 2011
    inktech crp 1820 slow thinner works all year round for us.

12. Farmboy

Farmboy Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Auburn, NY
    Yes, we use the 9050 retarder/thinner.
    Anyone that has switched from solvent to UV? Pros and Cons?

13. wedosigns

wedosigns Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I would love to switch over. No more drying times, faster to do multi colors or double sides, and ink does not dry on the screen.
    From what I have read uv lighting system has to be just right or it is not cured, or at the other end ink becomes flakie and scratches easily.
    UV ink is more transparent as well.