• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question for the window splashers?

Jillbeans

A customer wants a new splash (yay!) but rather than scraping off the existing splash, he wants me to simply paint over it.
Is this a bad idea?
I would be using KILZ primer then 1-S fluorescents.
(just like what is on there now)
Thanks.
Love....Jill

Shovelhead

Maybe it's common-place...I wouldn't...do it the right way...doesn't sound like too much billable labor with a 4" scraper.
Coat out with opaque white or scrape...same thing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's been a long long time since I did these. I used to use RichArt poster gelatin I think it was called. When we painted with it.... it kinda built up a lot and when you go to brush over it.... it could be a little tricky, but probably not a problem from that stand point.

However, my chief concern would be when applying the new prep coat... it might start attacking the old paint... causing it to start to blister or peel prematurely. Those paints don't last forever and especially around here on the east coast. I would be hesitant to have a job go south on me just because the customer wanted to save about $25 in prep costs. It doesn't take long to razor that stuff off.

I don't have true advice as I never painted overtop, but I don't think I would do it. Rather safe than sorry............... :covereyes:

Jillbeans

The existing splash is about two months old, done by me.
I told the client I was worrying about blistering, or even a thick layer of paint expanding/contracting on the glass.

i have painted over a window that i did about 2 months before the tenant went out of business and the building owner wanted down and dirty so i coated out the window in white and painted over the top of it.

it was only up for a few months but it never looked 'right' but of course we all look at things with a much more critical eye than the average motorist that is cruising by at 40mph.

it definitely was not a portfolio piece and is definitely not a practice i would get into on a regular basis. but under certain conditions...i possibly would do it again.

i definitely would not cote out the window in a dark color.

i would not do this in any situation where the window is going to be viewed up close as you will see the raised image underneath however slight that is.

i would never do it is i didnt paint the window underneath because of paint compatibilty (i know you painted this one)

and even if i did paint it i would still be concerned because of how i paint windows (as quick as possible) in that layers underneath may not be properly cured and if completely trapped you may have issues.

OldPaint

it would LOOK nicer............if it is on a clean surface. dont know how thick the original is, but putting paint over a painted surface................you gona see some of the one your covering, not in colors but you will get some "ghost" of the original. also doin 2 layers on a window, for sure no light will pass thru it.

Steve C.

I've gone back over faded splashes many times with no problem, but I never
repaint the white primer, only the flourescent colors and black trim. Much
easier than having to do the layout all over again. If you are basicly just
freshening it up, I don't see a problem. If the whole thing needs primed again,
thats a different story.