• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Questions about Hdu repaint

dale911

President
My company is wholesale to the trade only so often, my local clients will ask me to do all kinds of field work since I own a bucket truck. This project isn't a bucket project but I was asked to quote repainting an hdu sign. All they had were rough dimensions and the google earth pic. I gave Him a number but he knows I will always look the job over in person and let him know if there are things we couldn't see or expect since he doesn't do a lot of field work before asking me to do a job.

I went by there later in the day since it was on my way home and found that the signs were smaller than I planned for. Thought maybe I hit a homerun in the profit area and then I got out of the car and walked up to them. What I found was that the signs are concrete monument signs but he sign faces are 1" HDU, screwed into angle iron on the sides and were originally sealed t the top with caulk that has since deteriorated and the signs have pulled away from the body of the monument. There are two complete signs that are double sided so we are talking about 4 sign faces at about 4'x8'.

The problem is that the current finish looks like a super smooth coating. Each sign face has issues. 2 of them have hail damage, 1 has a broken corner and the other one is splitting at the bottoms of the letters.

I need to know if there is something that I can use to refurbish this sign such as a filler and any recommendations for paint to get the nice semi-gloss, super smooth finish they originally had. I am betting that it was sprayed with automotive grade paint following a bunch of some kind of filler and sanding which will make me walk from this job but that's ok. My biggest is doing what I'm asked to do and the client not getting the results they expected. Being 3rd party, I don't know if the client is wanting a sign that looks brand new or if they just want it to look better. I think 1"hdu for a face that big was too thin but that probably explains why the company that originally did the sign went out of business...twice.
3c6d606904b117aa87e640b64716fc83.jpg
b9b0ae70e84bcd928f9481b9c9bb463b.jpg
b330fcffafc99469c67e288915836e58.jpg
8679259a6b0ed52473555688ccae39a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dale911

President
Mod, please move this to an appropriate category. My app placed it in the fonts area.

Frank Linson

Dale, I see issues here, it will need cleaning and abrasion if done with automotive, and since it looks like bb gun pockmarks those will need filler, which you'd have to break the surface to get to stick. then fill and sand, then paint and refinish the letters which dont look too big. 1" is too thin and as you see didn't hold up to the abuse it was put to. Time for a new sign, I'd say.

Billct2

I'm inclined to agree with Frank, new signs may be best. It can be repaired, it would be nice to actually know what kind of paint was used but after cleaning and repairs it can be given a coat of a universal primer then sprayed with a top coat that gives you the finish you want.

dale911

President
Dale, I see issues here, it will need cleaning and abrasion if done with automotive, and since it looks like bb gun pockmarks those will need filler, which you'd have to break the surface to get to stick. then fill and sand, then paint and refinish the letters which dont look too big. 1" is too thin and as you see didn't hold up to the abuse it was put to. Time for a new sign, I'd say.

That's what I was thinking. This sign is much bigger than it looked in the pictures. I'll attach a full size image. Those marks that look like BB gun marks are from hail. 2 of the signs look like that all over. We were quoting about $600 just to paint it before having the repairs to deal with. With the labor to repair theses, it would probably be about $1500 and new faces all around would only be about $3k so I guess we will give the client some options.
3bd67f625a0cf14c61ed056736dea4d7.jpg
775e3e85775e71c45c46848b5951cde7.jpg
8517c14d62f77a6365662d0895a67abc.jpg