• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Questions about selling a business

sgns4u

What needs to happen with the current supplier accounts? Such as my t-shirt supplier, blank sign supplier, vinyl supplier, etc.

Would all of those accounts need to be closed and the new owners get their own accounts? If you were buying a business wouldn't you want/expect the supplier accounts to be in place already?
But then again most all of those accounts are tied via social security #'s to the current owners.

Thanks!!

CanuckSigns

I would imagine new owners would need to open new accounts. The supplier would want to run a credit check unless it is a COD account

NateF

Here's the way my experience went. They former owner of our shop had an LLC, and then operated under a trade name. When I purchased the business, the contract was written so that I only purchased the assets - customer lists, art files, equipment, goodwill, and the name (which I assumed with a DBA). The liabilities (other than a few that I knowingly and willingly assumed) remained the responsibility of his corporation. This way I was never surprised when an old creditor called asking about a bill from 1 1/2 years ago. I simply directed them to the former owner. Knowing that I couldn't be held liable for any surprises was good security for me.

The only headache was that I had to set up all new vendor accounts. But the advantage was that I didn't get stuck paying any money that he still owed. Though in a few cases I paid things just for simplicity, and then subtracted the amount from my monthly payment to him, as he was holding a note on the business.

Even though, as the seller, the liabilities may not be a big deal to you, you still don't want to turn over all your accounts to him. You may be listed as a personal guarantor on those accounts, and it's not hard to imagine how that could turn into big trouble for you if he doesn't pay his bills. Much easier to make him open his own LLC, get his own EIN, and open his own account. I would even call all the accounts that I can remember and inform them that you're going out of business. But you'll never remember all of them, hence the wisdom in him starting a new company and then purchasing your assets.

BobM

In many states you are required to notify all vendors of the sale, all outstanding accounts must be paid or escrowed before the transaction takes place. Check with an attorney before you close any deal.

sgns4u

Thank you for the replies!!!

I was worried that the new owners would expect the accounts to just stay in place and I wasn't comfortable with that.

gnemmas

Accounts can stay open, but the balance you owe have to be paid.

You notify all vendors to submit balance up to date to escrow ( or you can pay up all balances).

The buyer will want to be sure that all balances are paid up by you as well.