• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Questions about selling Software

sgns4u

****I TRULY DON'T MEAN THIS AS A SALES POST*** and will not talk about sell price or anything unrelated to my questions below...
I am considering selling my Flexi 10 Designer and I have some questions....

1) What should I require from the buyer so that I am protected?

2) What should I offer the buyer so they feel protected?

3) Should I accept payment through Paypal? I think that may offer me some seller protection or am I wrong?

4) Is there anything I need to know about shipping? UPS with required signature and plenty of insurance? Anything else?

Thank You,
Sherry

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
****I TRULY DON'T MEAN THIS AS A SALES POST*** and will not talk about sell price or anything unrelated to my questions below...
I am considering selling my Flexi 10 Designer and I have some questions....

1) What should I require from the buyer so that I am protected?

2) What should I offer the buyer so they feel protected?

3) Should I accept payment through Paypal? I think that may offer me some seller protection or am I wrong?

4) Is there anything I need to know about shipping? UPS with required signature and plenty of insurance? Anything else?

Thank You,
Sherry

Sell it on eBay and state your terms clearly (refunds/ no refunds, etc...) and make sure your product description is accurate. Include plenty of photos showing OEM disk(s) and dongle.

Make sure Flexi will allow you to transfer your license. Yes, ship it insured and require a signature.

JB

visual800

Id put it on sign forums for sell instead of ebay. too much theft on cell phones and software. paypal doesnt stand behind anything sold on ebay unless you put up a fight. id personally sign up with square and take payment that way.

also on ebay they frown upon selling software that you own. I was selling adobe illustrator on there and got reported to the BSA ( software alliance) they removed my posting and said it was illegal for me to sell or I could be fined. I relisted it anyway, titled it differently and didnt use the words OEM and it sold. lol.....I dont like being bullied.

good luck

James Burke

Id put it on sign forums for sell instead of ebay. too much theft on cell phones and software. paypal doesnt stand behind anything sold on ebay unless you put up a fight. id personally sign up with square and take payment that way.

also on ebay they frown upon selling software that you own. I was selling adobe illustrator on there and got reported to the BSA ( software alliance) they removed my posting and said it was illegal for me to sell or I could be fined. I relisted it anyway, titled it differently and didnt use the words OEM and it sold. lol.....I dont like being bullied.

good luck

Ditto...if you can sell it here on S101, do that instead. I've sold Gerber and SignLab software through the S101 classifieds and it worked well for me. Obviously, Fred can't police every sale nor can the forum offer seller / buyer conflict resolution. But overall the people here are fair and honest. A telephone call will not only help you answer a buyer's questions but you'll also make a new friend in the end.

JB

sgns4u

Make sure Flexi will allow you to transfer your license.

How would I do that? I know I am missing or not understanding something. Would you care to elaborate? What could be a reason that I couldn't transfer it?

Thank you!!

James Burke

How would I do that? I know I am missing or not understanding something. Would you care to elaborate? What could be a reason that I couldn't transfer it? Thank you!!

So far, I've had good success with SignLab and Gerber Omega being allowed to be transferred. Check the EULA (End User License Agreement) that comes with Flexi to see what terms they have concerning license transferability.

JB

Jburns

I bought a used copy of flexi / dongle- called SAI in salt lake and registered it- I think it was 150.00 or so for official transfer
Funny- I actually drive by their office often

visual800

Why is that?

when my listing was pulled I was told that when you buy software you do not have to the right to resell it. That was told to me by the BSA. My reply was That was a crock of s***! I have never heard of something that stupid

It was shortly after I put it back on ebay and it sold. what pi$$ed me off was Im a normal guy just trying to make a dollar while other are selling bootleg on there and they do nothing about them

and IF you ship it always ship with signature confirmation

WildWestDesigns

when my listing was pulled I was told that when you buy software you do not have to the right to resell it.

That is a load of crap, but not for the same reasons that I would imagine that you suspect.

Technically, no one really buys software per se. You buy a license to use the software. But not own it. You just have different licenses now. Most people that think that they own software, really have a perpetual license. This can be clearly shown that if Adobe pulls the servers, you can't activate their product through normal means. If you actually owned the software, this wouldn't be a concern period.

Even Adobe grants people the ability to transfer said license for their regular product (not educational products, unless it had the Macromedia brand on it), if you go through the proper channels (they also make mention of "sell or give away", but did not stipulate that you couldn't sell it). The right is there however. Now with only subscription based for Adobe now, I doubt that it exists. But if you are talking about their CS products, it is there.

Now, there are some software packages that do not allow for the transfer of licenses as per their EULA, so in order to not have to know the EULAs for all software out there, they could have decided to take the stance of no software transactions for those that are found. I don't know. That's me speculating. Even that has it's flaws considering everything that I see being sold on Ebay.

There are ways around the above, I'm not saying that there aren't. I'm strictly talking about proper channels and doing things above board.