• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Questions about smalted signs??

designflow

I have never used the smalts for signage before and I currently have a job that I may need to use it. I was wondering what materials does the smalts stick to. Would it stick to aluminum or PVC???

James Chrimes

I have used it on alluminum with no problems. I have never used it on pvc because it expands and contracts to much for my liking.

designflow

Did you have to do anything different to the alum. for it to stick properly or anything. Problem is i need some type of good base to hang this sign its going to mounted to a scroll so i was thinking of 1" PVC and i was going to cut a panel out of it. Any suggestions on what to use?? It will not be carved just gold lettering and smalted??

Jillbeans

I would definitely not use the PVC for the reasons Jim states.
Any pix of the project or layout so we might give some more concise advice?
I am thinking with the aluminum if there is the least bit of flex little pieces of glass will crumble off.
Love....Jill

designflow

here is what im installing what do you think i should use as a base in order to use the smalts?
Dscroll_Final.jpg

Marlene

MDO would work. just prime and paint it. where you want to smalt, mix 1/2 Smith's cream with 1/2 paint (black for black smalt) and brush that on. then sprinkle on the smalt nice and thick. the next day you can turn the sign over and shake off the excess and ta da! I usually use a good redwood or other good wood for these kinds of signs but the MDO should be OK. I have done it on aluminum just for a sample but it's never been outside so I can't say for sure that it works OK. I have one of my redwood signs that we took down for a customer after it was installed for a few years and the smalt is still looking really good.

I use oil based paint, no latex and I have no idea if latex can be used