• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Quick Illustrator Question - Skewed Text

MrSalumi

Hey there. I am having an issue with a customers file where it looks like a transformation has been applied to an expanded text path but it's behaving strangely. I want to achieve the path where the actual skewed text is not how it looks currently. I hope that makes sense but I want it to behave like a shape rather than text. I'm using cs6.

Any help is much appreciated.

Sal

Example...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 1.57.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 1.57.45 PM.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 126
Not quite following what you are asking. Can you show what you are trying to do, even a pencil sketch would probably clarify.

Thanks,
Chris

ForgeInc

Hey there. I am having an issue with a customers file where it looks like a transformation has been applied to an expanded text path but it's behaving strangely. I want to achieve the path where the actual skewed text is not how it looks currently. I hope that makes sense but I want it to behave like a shape rather than text. I'm using cs6.

Any help is much appreciated.

Sal

Example...

I think that text was done using a warp effect. you can see by going to your appearance pallet and seeing what effects were applied. you can turn off, increase or decrease the amount of warp, or the type of warp applied.

Once you are done, you can then "expand appearance" to get rid of the effect and your art will convert to working paths/outlines.

JgS

He wants the blue line to go around the red text. I know there is a way but I cant think of it right now. Have you tried cutting it out? It should still cut with the arc.

MrSalumi

Thank you for the quick responses. I went to the appearances panel and there are no effects applied. After going to expand appearance I selected regular expand and it worked. Kinda weird but I am sure its user error on my part.

Thanks everyone!

Baz

You can apply many types of effects to type and shapes (ex. distortions, round corners). Once you are satisfied with your results you can select "Expand Appearance" and your effects will become permanent. If you don't expand it you should be able to see the object's effects in it's appearance settings.

ForgeInc

Thank you for the quick responses. I went to the appearances panel and there are no effects applied. After going to expand appearance I selected regular expand and it worked. Kinda weird but I am sure its user error on my part.

Thanks everyone!

Hmmm, there definitely was a warp effect applied. Did you try scrolling down in the appearance pallet? Perhaps it was grouped with another object?

At any rate glad you got it sorted!