• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Quickbooks Question...Do you use it?

gbahue

Hi there.

I have quickbooks in place to track estimates/WIP/Invoices. Couple of questions: Do you use it? What version? (contractor vs. manufacturing) Did you customize? Do you use 3rd party vendors to extend capabilities.

Thanks for your help. :thumb:

g

jiarby

yes,
2008 Premier WHolesale & Manufacturing Edition

got that version to create assemblies... we have part numbers for components, and then can use QB to create assemblies (like, say , a trophy that uses a base, nut, rod, column, figure, trim, engraved plate... or maybe a substrate + print + lam) When I ring up an order it will deduct the product from inventory... as long as you are good at keeping it up to date! So, when I sell a "10inch football trophy" it rings up one line item but deducts all the parts from inventory. If I do not have the bases in stock it beeps at me so I know to sell something else or order some.

We use it to create purchase orders, then when the material arrives we "receive" it in QB and the inventory is updated.

Of course it does invoices, estimates, packing slips, etc...

I also like the integration with UPS & Fed Ex. I can click a button to ship a package and it prints a shipping label then adds the tracking # & shipping to the invoice.

It takes some doing to set up with your product & inventory... but worth the effort.

3dsignco

Yes also
2005 Premier Wholesale & Manufacturing Edition. Has served us well for many years.
I know Not much help. Did try to use the link between Estimate and QB but never really had much luck with that.

But now that I have a new accountant I will be switching to Peachtree the first of the year and peachtree looks pretty intuitive also.

gbahue

Wow Jiarby. Sounds awesome. I hired someone to set everything up for us and they put us on the "Contractor" version. In a sense we often have split billings and bill as we install a project but overall not really optimal for our business. We have to choose whether we are billing for some portion of the order or percent of the order and it really doesnt translate well. I'll research the manufacturing module.

Anyone know what type of nightmare awaits if I choose to convert?

tcorn1965

We use Quick Books Enterprise 10 (20 concurrent users) to handle every aspect of our company from payroll to sales, manufacturing (build to order), inventory, PO's, shipping and receiving, It works seamlessly. I have been directly involved in several conversions and it was pretty straight forward and surprisingly no bugs and or missing data after the conversion. It is not the same version as yours but in my experience the conversion should be smooth. Good Luck!