• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Quickbooks

2B

why is it when you click the "upgrade" button in the program you are expected to pay more than buying the new and better version off the shelf?

ProWraps

quickbooks SUCKS. all the way around. and sadly we run it. its a necessary evil.

if you have a costco, they sell it. its not a steal, but its probably cheaper.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately there isn't any real competition against QB. Microsoft tried a few years ago but it pretty much failed before it even got a foothold. Peachtree Account is worse in every way than QB.

There are online "cloud" accounting services but I just don't trust them.

I really don't understand why there isn't a startup trying to take on Quickbooks.

choucove

If you're looking to update versions of Quickbooks, I've found that Amazon carries better prices than just about anywhere for a full version. Even when we called in to talk with Intuit, their "upgrade" cost was about $50 more than us just buying a full new Quickbooks Premiere from Amazon.

smdgrfx

Yep, and they make you upgrade over time. We had Enterprise 05 and had to upgrade because it wouldn't work on Win7. Down graded to a 3 license "Pro" system for $400 in 2008. In 2012, the Pro version ran out of support so we bought 2012 "Premier" version for same $400 but only came with one license. What a rip-off. And there was no "upgrade" path. They just told me I would have to buy 3 licenses if I wanted to use it in a 3 user mode. What BS....

Bigdawg

Just Me
We had a version that was a couple years old - had some problems with it and called for support. There isn't any - not even payable support. Not to mention they were just jerks on the call. We ended up buying a version of quickbooks locally (I think it was at Office Depot) that had payroll included that was less than what they were currently charging us for payroll service (like $300 of something like that).

I consider quickbooks a necessary evil.

signswi

Quickbooks keeps it's grip because it's what CPAs like to work with. There are literally thousands of startups taking on Quickbooks, and many have succeeded within particular markets--mostly sole proprietor/freelancer/small, decentralized businesses.

Just a few examples: Freshbooks, Wave Accounting, Harvest, Xero, Invoicera

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Quickbooks keeps it's grip because it's what CPAs like to work with. There are literally thousands of startups taking on Quickbooks, and many have succeeded within particular markets--mostly sole proprietor/freelancer/small, decentralized businesses.

Just a few examples: Freshbooks, Wave Accounting, Harvest, Xero, Invoicera

Those are all cloud providers so they compete for the same space but it's not a direct competitor to installed software.

TheSnowman

I love my quickbooks! I just did a search on google and I've always found a pretty healthy discount from retail price. I forget where I bought the last one from.