Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quickbooks

Discussion in 'General Software' started by 2B, Aug 27, 2012.

1. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    why is it when you click the "upgrade" button in the program you are expected to pay more than buying the new and better version off the shelf?

Tags:
  2. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Because unfortunately there are people that are naive and will do it.

3. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    because quickbooks has become the bloated expensive rip off of Intuit.

4. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    quickbooks SUCKS. all the way around. and sadly we run it. its a necessary evil.

if you have a costco, they sell it. its not a steal, but its probably cheaper.

5. briankb

briankb Active Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Unfortunately there isn't any real competition against QB. Microsoft tried a few years ago but it pretty much failed before it even got a foothold. Peachtree Account is worse in every way than QB.

There are online "cloud" accounting services but I just don't trust them.

I really don't understand why there isn't a startup trying to take on Quickbooks.

6. choucove

choucove Active Member

Feb 25, 2008
    If you're looking to update versions of Quickbooks, I've found that Amazon carries better prices than just about anywhere for a full version. Even when we called in to talk with Intuit, their "upgrade" cost was about $50 more than us just buying a full new Quickbooks Premiere from Amazon.

7. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

8. smdgrfx

smdgrfx Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Yep, and they make you upgrade over time. We had Enterprise 05 and had to upgrade because it wouldn't work on Win7. Down graded to a 3 license "Pro" system for $400 in 2008. In 2012, the Pro version ran out of support so we bought 2012 "Premier" version for same $400 but only came with one license. What a rip-off. And there was no "upgrade" path. They just told me I would have to buy 3 licenses if I wanted to use it in a 3 user mode. What BS....

9. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    We had a version that was a couple years old - had some problems with it and called for support. There isn't any - not even payable support. Not to mention they were just jerks on the call. We ended up buying a version of quickbooks locally (I think it was at Office Depot) that had payroll included that was less than what they were currently charging us for payroll service (like $300 of something like that).

I consider quickbooks a necessary evil.

10. signswi

signswi Very Active Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Quickbooks keeps it's grip because it's what CPAs like to work with. There are literally thousands of startups taking on Quickbooks, and many have succeeded within particular markets--mostly sole proprietor/freelancer/small, decentralized businesses.

Just a few examples: Freshbooks, Wave Accounting, Harvest, Xero, Invoicera

11. briankb

briankb Active Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Those are all cloud providers so they compete for the same space but it's not a direct competitor to installed software.

12. royster13

royster13 Very Active Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Montrose BC
  13. mnapuran

mnapuran Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Plano (Dallas), TX
  14. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    I love my quickbooks! I just did a search on google and I've always found a pretty healthy discount from retail price. I forget where I bought the last one from.

15. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I hafta agree 110%. :thumb:

16. signswi

signswi Very Active Member

Oct 29, 2009
    I would reverse that. They are a direct competitor to installed software, just not in all spaces.