• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

quotation marks

Do you edit your quotation marks?

• YES!

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • NO!

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

deadman

ok, here is another.

do you edit your quotation marks or leave them alone?

I usually leave these alone, but every once in a while a customer mentions it.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
ok, here is another.

do you edit your quotation marks or leave them alone?

I usually leave these alone, but every once in a while a customer mentions it.

I always use Alt 0147 and Alt 0148 for quotation marks. Otherwise you sometimes get inch marks instead of the true quotation marks.

WrapperX

What do you mean "quotation marks" - LOL I used quotations around quotation marks....

Seriously - what sort of usage of quotation marks would you edit?

WrapperX

Or do you mean the look of them in your designs? Like changing them to an outline so you can adjust them in Illustrator....

I would say it depends on the Font - sometimes they look alright sometimes they look funky.

deadman

when you type them, in Times for example, they do not encase the letters. The left side does, but the right looks exactly like the left. Some people thing the quotation marks should encase the letters within, rather than be the same on both sides of the text.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
when you type them, in Times for example, they do not encase the letters. The left side does, but the right looks exactly like the left. Some people thing the quotation marks should encase the letters within, rather than be the same on both sides of the text.

Using keyboard standard quote = "Quote"

Using Alt characters 0147 and 0148 = “Quote”

There’s more to typing than just what’s on your keyboard.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred,

Thats a cool tip, does that work in all software?

I primarily use Gerber.

Not for Gerber fonts since they have never quite accepted Windows standards. Most Windows fonts, however, do have lots of standardized symbols. You can view any installed font on your system by going to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map. Non-keyboard characters are entered by holding down the Alt key and entering the number from the numeric keypad only.

Some of the most commonly used are:

Alt 0146 = True Apostrophe
Alt 0147 = True Left Quote
Alt 0147 = True Right Quote
Alt 0149 = Bullet
Alt 0153 = ™
Alt 0162 = ¢
Alt 0169 = ©
Alt 0174 = ®
Alt 0176 = Degree Sign

Dzrt1st

Not to be a :thread but what about hyphens/dashes?

I once had a designer reject an engraved donor plaque plaque because I used a hyphen rather than an em dash on one line of text. Until then I didn't know about em dashes and en dashes.

WrapperX

That is a pretty nifty trick - I've never known that...I guess that's what makes me an installation guy and not a design guy.

mikey-Oh

Not to be a :thread but what about hyphens/dashes?

I once had a designer reject an engraved donor plaque plaque because I used a hyphen rather than an em dash on one line of text. Until then I didn't know about em dashes and en dashes.

En Dash ALT+0150
Em Dash ALT+0151

The alt codes are shown in windows character map
or in the Type Menu under Glyphs for Illustrator Users

rfulford

Sorry, but I've got to stick it to you PC guys here. On a mac, smart quotes and special characters are handled with corded strokes. Its just as easy as typing a capital letter

Open quotes are “option > left bracket”
Close quotes are “option > shift > left bracket”

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
And yes...they MUST look like sixes (on the left) and nines (on the right)...not a mirrored set of sixes or set of nines....sheeesh!

JB