• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

RAM question

Tovis

I have an ASUS CM1630 and want to put 4 sticks of Corsair - Vengeance 4GB DDR3 DIMM Desktop Memory Kit to give it 16GB of memory.

Is DDR3 universal if your computer takes this type of memory or do you also need to couple it with the other numbers associated with RAM.

I don't know much about RAM and do not want to get something that won't work in my computer.

Tovis

crucial has limited brands offered. The ram is on newegg. Do some brands work better then others, and are some better with intel or amd?

phototec

crucial has limited brands offered. The ram is on newegg. Do some brands work better then others, and are some better with intel or amd?

I was not recommending Crucial, only suggesting that you use their scanner tool to tell what TYPE and SIZE of RAM your computer will take.

Ounce you know the TYPE and SIZE, you can shop ANYWHERE to purchase the brand of RAM you want.

I like to use pricewatch.com to see how much RAM is going for.

http://www.pricewatch.com/system_memory/

:thumb:

choucove

Your system is a newer AMD AM3 platform, which means that it does support DDR3 memory up to 16 GB of RAM maximum. The AMD systems are not as picky about memory compatibility as I have run across on some Intel systems. For instance, on all of the latest Intel platforms you cannot use RAM higher than 1.65 Volt, but it has become quite standard for all DDR3 RAM today to operate at or below 1.65 Volt to keep this compatibility. I've personally run 1.8 V Crucial Ballistix in some AMD AM3 systems without any issues.

Corsair Vengeance is great RAM, I use it on nearly all the computers we do now.

Tovis

Your system is a newer AMD AM3 platform, which means that it does support DDR3 memory up to 16 GB of RAM maximum. The AMD systems are not as picky about memory compatibility as I have run across on some Intel systems. For instance, on all of the latest Intel platforms you cannot use RAM higher than 1.65 Volt, but it has become quite standard for all DDR3 RAM today to operate at or below 1.65 Volt to keep this compatibility. I've personally run 1.8 V Crucial Ballistix in some AMD AM3 systems without any issues.

Corsair Vengeance is great RAM, I use it on nearly all the computers we do now.

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 830 Processor [7.2]
Memory (RAM): 6.00 GB [7.5]
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT [4.9]
Gaming graphics 3839 MB Total available graphics memory [5.8]
Primary hard disk 858GB Free (917GB Total) [5.9]

Perhaps if my ram is at 7.5, I don't really need any more? Or is it better when I run programs such as photoshop, lightroom, dreamweaver with multiple windows open constantly that I just throw in 16 gigs of ram (its on sale)

Which do you think would be of more importance the RAM or perhaps a new graphics card. Is 16 gigs or ram overkill?

jfiscus

Rap Master
Are your Adobe products 32 bit or 64 bit? I know that my new system has 16 gigs of RAM, but I need to upgrade my CS4 products (32 bit) to utilize the extra RAM... :(

choucove

Your computer system is utilizing a quad-core processor, which is capable of handling multi-tasking very well. I know some people don't really like the AMD Phenom processors, but I've used tons of them and they have been excellent performers!

Your system is 64-bit capable, so you can go ahead and throw as much RAM in there as you want. After all, it is the cheapest upgrade you can do to your computer and the easiest as well. RAM may make a difference to your overall performance if you have the need and can utilize it properly. What kind of software are you using specifically? As JFiscus mentioned above, are you using 32-bit or 64-bit versions of the Adobe products?

Design work, especially 3D design work or digital content creation and video production, can use all the RAM you can throw at it to help speed up the overall process, but in your day-to-day normal tasks having that large amount of RAM will make very little difference. My home computer here has 16 GB of RAM currently, and I have not once seen it go beyond using even half of that available RAM even when working in both Adobe Photoshop CS5 and Adobe Premiere CS5 together.

The pre-built system you have does have a dedicated graphics card, which is more powerful than integrated graphics that is standard in most pre-built desktop systems. However, it's a very entry-level card. If all you are doing is two-dimensional work then your graphics card really doesn't matter as much, most all of the work is done at the CPU. However, if you're working with 3D design you definitely need something more powerful for rendering and calculating those complex designs. Also, if you have newer versions of Adobe software, it can utilize your graphics card in some situations to greatly increase performance, such as applying renders or filter effects.

Here's the problem, though. The power supply in your pre-built desktop 99% of the time never supports more powerful graphics cards which can require additional power connections as well as higher output capabilities. To upgrade your graphics card, you'd need to upgrade your power supply as well most likely. I'd recommend this anyways as your power supply is the heart of your system and can make or break your entire computer if it fails.

The other option to upgrade your graphics card would be go to with a professional graphics card. This isn't a card designed for playing games, but specifically tailored for design work, content creation, and other professional industries. Many of them do not require additional power connections like gaming graphics cards, but are much more expensive than gaming cards. A good upgrade for you if you're doing 3D would be a PNY Quadro 600 which can be purchased for around $180. It's still rather entry-level if you're doing quite a bit of 3D work, but it's a noticeable step up from a GeForce 9400 GT graphics card.

Tovis

Your computer system is utilizing a quad-core processor, which is capable of handling multi-tasking very well. I know some people don't really like the AMD Phenom processors, but I've used tons of them and they have been excellent performers!

Your system is 64-bit capable, so you can go ahead and throw as much RAM in there as you want. After all, it is the cheapest upgrade you can do to your computer and the easiest as well. RAM may make a difference to your overall performance if you have the need and can utilize it properly. What kind of software are you using specifically? As JFiscus mentioned above, are you using 32-bit or 64-bit versions of the Adobe products?

Design work, especially 3D design work or digital content creation and video production, can use all the RAM you can throw at it to help speed up the overall process, but in your day-to-day normal tasks having that large amount of RAM will make very little difference. My home computer here has 16 GB of RAM currently, and I have not once seen it go beyond using even half of that available RAM even when working in both Adobe Photoshop CS5 and Adobe Premiere CS5 together.

The pre-built system you have does have a dedicated graphics card, which is more powerful than integrated graphics that is standard in most pre-built desktop systems. However, it's a very entry-level card. If all you are doing is two-dimensional work then your graphics card really doesn't matter as much, most all of the work is done at the CPU. However, if you're working with 3D design you definitely need something more powerful for rendering and calculating those complex designs. Also, if you have newer versions of Adobe software, it can utilize your graphics card in some situations to greatly increase performance, such as applying renders or filter effects.

Here's the problem, though. The power supply in your pre-built desktop 99% of the time never supports more powerful graphics cards which can require additional power connections as well as higher output capabilities. To upgrade your graphics card, you'd need to upgrade your power supply as well most likely. I'd recommend this anyways as your power supply is the heart of your system and can make or break your entire computer if it fails.

The other option to upgrade your graphics card would be go to with a professional graphics card. This isn't a card designed for playing games, but specifically tailored for design work, content creation, and other professional industries. Many of them do not require additional power connections like gaming graphics cards, but are much more expensive than gaming cards. A good upgrade for you if you're doing 3D would be a PNY Quadro 600 which can be purchased for around $180. It's still rather entry-level if you're doing quite a bit of 3D work, but it's a noticeable step up from a GeForce 9400 GT graphics card.

Wow thank you for the lenghty reply, I do not use the graphics card that came with it, I put the card from my old system into this one which is the NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT. I've already upgraded my power supply, I have a Corsair GS600 (600W). I do not do 3d renderings, when it comes to illustrations I more or less open what my business partner sends me and break with down for web and to function with css. It might be fun to do video, but I don't have that justified for paying $ in upgrades.

What I am more into is getting it so I can cruise through thousands of wedding photos taken in RAW by my Canon 5d Mark II and processing them in the newest version of lightroom. I am a lot faster then I was with my previous computer, but I still think it can be a tad faster.

choucove

Given that your primary usage isn't 3D, then your current graphics card is capable of doing what you need and I don't think it'd get you a noticeable advantage going with a higher power graphics card for the cost that would be involved.

What you might consider is your primary storage subsystem. Hard drives.

The slowest component of any computer is the storage subsystem, which is your hard drive. Consider on my home desktop, where the throughput of data from the processor to the RAM is upwards of 13,000 MB/s while a standard mechanical hard drive to memory is around 75 MB/s a huge difference, which is where your bottleneck exists on any computer. The faster you can make that connection, the faster your entire system will respond. This is the beauty of a SSD.

Solid State Disks offer a huge performance potential above mechanical hard drives (and with the currently ungodly cost of mechanical hard drives, they can even be cheaper!) For instance, the OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB SSD that is in my computer can surpass 500 MB/s data throughput, a huge and very noticeable difference in every single task over a standard drive. In my case I have two of these hard drives in RAID 0 array simply to have a little extra storage space to play with. In this configuration, I actually benchmarked just shy of 1 GB/s throughput which is more than a hundred times more data throughput than a single standard mechanical drive.

If you're working with a ton of large files, a strong storage subsystem is going to give you the biggest benefit overall I think. Your problem may be in the need for multiple drives so that you have a single (or two) smaller SSD drives offering you very high performance in applications and dealing with temp files in Windows, but then having your single (or two) large capacity hard drives for storing large amounts of data.

Again, this is also how I have set up my home and office computers with a fast SSD for the OS (or two in RAID) and a large capacity hard drive for data (or two in RAID.)

The other benefit here is this is an upgrade that your current computer can handle without much difficulties, though you would most likely need to reinstall your operating system, applications, and settings.

Tovis

Given that your primary usage isn't 3D, then your current graphics card is capable of doing what you need and I don't think it'd get you a noticeable advantage going with a higher power graphics card for the cost that would be involved.

What you might consider is your primary storage subsystem. Hard drives.

The slowest component of any computer is the storage subsystem, which is your hard drive. Consider on my home desktop, where the throughput of data from the processor to the RAM is upwards of 13,000 MB/s while a standard mechanical hard drive to memory is around 75 MB/s a huge difference, which is where your bottleneck exists on any computer. The faster you can make that connection, the faster your entire system will respond. This is the beauty of a SSD.

Solid State Disks offer a huge performance potential above mechanical hard drives (and with the currently ungodly cost of mechanical hard drives, they can even be cheaper!) For instance, the OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB SSD that is in my computer can surpass 500 MB/s data throughput, a huge and very noticeable difference in every single task over a standard drive. In my case I have two of these hard drives in RAID 0 array simply to have a little extra storage space to play with. In this configuration, I actually benchmarked just shy of 1 GB/s throughput which is more than a hundred times more data throughput than a single standard mechanical drive.

If you're working with a ton of large files, a strong storage subsystem is going to give you the biggest benefit overall I think. Your problem may be in the need for multiple drives so that you have a single (or two) smaller SSD drives offering you very high performance in applications and dealing with temp files in Windows, but then having your single (or two) large capacity hard drives for storing large amounts of data.

Again, this is also how I have set up my home and office computers with a fast SSD for the OS (or two in RAID) and a large capacity hard drive for data (or two in RAID.)

The other benefit here is this is an upgrade that your current computer can handle without much difficulties, though you would most likely need to reinstall your operating system, applications, and settings.

Thanks, I was going to look into that next. I did wind up getting the graphics card and noticed a huge difference in clarity and color. I measured/calibrated and have a DE2000 of around 0.9 which is pretty good. Before it had a magenta bias and now colors seem unbiased.

Improving the main hard drive was my next goal. Now I have 2 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal hard drives. I want to get something quicker to run the system on and have the other drives act as internal storage.