• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Random unwanted (extreme) shadows printing

IsItFasst

So my printer has been randomly inserting these unwanted shadows. It will print fine, then for an inch or so it will print the shadow, then go back to printing fine. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• unwantedshadows.jpg
    unwantedshadows.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited by a moderator:

CS-SignSupply

Clean the encoder scale first with Alcohol and cleaning swab. Be sure to clean front and back side. Do not "scrub" it.... simply wet the swab and with one even motion slide the swab from the printhead side to the far left. Then repeat on the backside.

IsItFasst

FYI. I think it has something to do with the scan motor accuracy. The last decal I printed on my last job was turned sideways an it was the only one that started showing the problem. Then when I cut, it was off by about a 1/4 of an inch. The 10 others that printed vertically print and cut fine.

IsItFasst

I suppose a dirty encoder strip could cause the problem. I just replaced it about a month or two ago but I may have left some fingerprint or something on there (even though it was thoroughly cleaned after installing).

CS-SignSupply

Have the unit thrown any errors of any kind? Have you pulled a history on the unit and had a Roland dealer review it?

IsItFasst

No errors other than an occasional heater voltage sensor error on start up that is quickly resolved with restart. Obviously a lot of errors once the original encoder strip went bad but all has been good since then. This is low volume unit since I normally print small decals so it usually sees less than 50 square feet a week. Hopefully cleaning the encoder strip fixed it. So far so good.

IsItFasst

Well it's back. Last 2 days I have had random fuzzy prints. This will happen right in the middle of a print normally and then go back to printing fine after a few passes. Of coarse this ruins the print (joy). Not sure what is causing this. Encoder is only a few months old. I have cleaned it after the problems happened but doesn't seem to really fix it anymore than simply turning on and off the machine. I just love these random problems....