• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Random VersaWorks lockup?

signguy37

We use quality materials!
I have been using VersaWorks for just over a year now printing to a Roland VP-540. It seems random, and I don't know of any cause, but I can be selecting several jobs on any given day and print and cut away with no problem, then when I que up a job and take a look at the cut/print, quantity, whatever.... I go to hit the "OK" button and it freezes up on me. The only way out is to CTL / ALT /DEL the program, then it hangs for 3 to 4 minutes, and closes down VersaWorks. Upon opening the program again everything works fine. Does this ever happen to anyone else?

I bought a brand new Dell computer last year for the sole purpose of running my VP-540... there is limited other software installed and I only would have Flexi and VW opened up at the same time.

It's not a big deal because it's not like the printer crashes during a job, but it's inconvenient and a time waster... I chalked it up as just another PC hangup, but wondered if anyone may have had anything similar happen.

Thanks,

Kurt

Bigdawg

Just Me
Me three.. and it irritates the heck outta me!!!

I cannot find a rhyme or reason to it and can do the same exact thing without it locking up... you are not alone Kurt!!

signguy37

wow, I'm glad I'm not alone... hopefully our voice will be heard and someone will help us out!

FKAT

Has anyone tried to go to the Roland VersaWorks menu from the START>All Programs>Roland VersaWorks menu and tried 'Initialize Application'...? - Make sure to save any RIP'd data to disk and write down your IP Address prior to doing so, as the program will be completely wiped out and both Queues (A and B) emptied through this process.

signguy37

I had a seperate issue with my printer other than what this thread is regarding, but I ended up re-installing VersaWorks, and interestingly enough when I did this yesterday, I received some sort of notice (I should have took a screen shot of it!) from Microsoft that noting something to the effect that "this software is not compatible, or not approved" or something of that nature... do I want to continue to install this software? When my tech installed the printer/software last year... did this notice come up and they just install it anyway? I'm using Windows XP, is there a compatibility issue with XP or say with Vista by chance? I wonder if this has anything to do with the random lockup?

Kurt

Gene@mpls

Has anyone tried to go to the Roland VersaWorks menu from the START>All Programs>Roland VersaWorks menu and tried 'Initialize Application'...? - Make sure to save any RIP'd data to disk and write down your IP Address prior to doing so, as the program will be completely wiped out and both Queues (A and B) emptied through this process.

And did this cure the problem? What is your experience with Vworks? Gene

GTSTech_1

I get a couple of calls a month on this VW freeze up. The solution for my customers has been to delete some of old job in the queue. Leaving printed jobs in the queue, means VW has to re-open them the next time you fire up VW, and this process will eat alot of the computers resources.

If you have to "Re-Intialize" the program...go to your defaults and set your eps margins, and convert spot colors in file format.

My .02

yukon

Same problem here, everyday it locks up at least once just like you said, after hitting OK. I have the same configuration as you; VP 540, XP Pro, Flexi Pro.

I do delete old jobs often and save them to another folder on my HD.

SAI, are you seeing this thread??? Please bug-fix it in the next update - pretty please!

Yukon

CentralSigns

Same issue here. I had it lock up so bad I couldn't get opened up again till I deleted jobs in que. A 20 min struggle to get rid of the 7 or so in the que one at a time amoungst the program crashing. Once I got them all deleted I restarted it all over again and good for a week. I now try not to have more than 4 or 5 in the que at a time. But it's not only flexi. My files come from CorelDrawX5 and Vista as OS. Can't close versaworks most days and have it close. Have to go into Alt-cntrol-del and pick out the program and close it in the processes tab as it shows closed in the program tab. Any one have this problem, usually doesn't show till you go to open it and it says can't cause vw is still running.

Custom_Grafx

I have a feeling it has nothing to do with how many things there are in the queue. At the moment I have about 30 items in my queue. It still happens the same amount of times as when it's just a few. It only happens when you hit that "OK" button after you've finished the settings etc. Crap bug that never got fixed by the looks of it. If it's a real problem with something else - it should give an error message.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I run the latest release and it still happens to me all the time.
Roland claims it isn't a bug in Versaworks it's an end user computer issue. I find that very hard to believe with it happening to so many people. Everyone needs to call Roland tech support and ask about it 1-800-542-2307. Maybe they'll wake up and take a look at the issue.