• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Re-creating Logos

dlndesign

I'm curious, how many times would you say in a month you have to re-create a logo?

I'm noticing close to 50% of new work requires it. How about you?

thanks!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
:blondie: You can cut that number down quite a bit by quoting a price to recreate the logo. Most customers will then come up with a usable file.

Chasez

:blondie: You can cut that number down quite a bit by quoting a price to recreate the logo. Most customers will then come up with a usable file.

That or they'll go and try and find someone else who will do it without questioning it (I'd rather not have them as clients at that point).

Chaz

rossmosh

I don't even make a big deal out of it. They send me crap. I charge them $25, send the logo out to be cleaned up, and in 24 hours I have a 90-100% accurate logo.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Brandsoftheworld.com has many

Corel trace can help too. Yep, we charge a hefty fee for recreating logos.

p.s. can I just fax you the logo? Here's an eps but you find out it's actually a raster called an eps or the same with pdf rrrrrrrrrr!

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Brandsoftheworld.com has many

Yeah, that's if you have mostly large corporations for customers, who normally can supply CORRECT logos (many of BOTW logos are crap....they LOOK ok, but often are not 100%). Most logos you have to cleanup/recreate are small businesses who had their secretary make something in MS Paint or Word.

Marlene

most of the time customers will only send what they can see so they send the crappy jpegs and such. I ask them to send evey file they have and I'll look thru them as it isn't up to them to know the difference between rasters and vectors. usually find what I am looking for

Billct2

I get a lot and I always request new artwork in the proper format. If I don't get (depending on the client and the complexity of the logo) I offder the option of recreating it, and usually send to the vector doctor to handle it. Of course there are somethings that can't be reproduced without costing more than the job.

Andy D

I think it's helpful to explain to the customer that in this day-in-age they should have their logo
professionally setup in multiple file formats, otherwise they will always hit a brick wall when ordering shirts, pens, business cards,signs, etc.
Sell it to them as a way to prevent cost and hassle in the future...
They get a CD with several file formats with their logo setup normally, stacked, ect. for $XXX.XX

BALLPARK

Vector Doctor is the quick fix. Sometimes I charge the client and sometimes I do not even charge the client. It depends on the project...

Either way Vector Doctor as great prices and turnaround times that will make you smile. I used to spend a lot of time creating the logos again in vector, but I'm not as fast as Eric nor as good. I want my logos to be on point and I've yet to have an issue with Vector Doctor files. I have sent them many files and will continue to do so even when we get another in-house designer.

blufftonsignguy

I have been back and forth with a graphic designer over the last 2-3 weeks trying to get artwork that my new customer had already paid for. I asked for vector, pdf, eps and etc. I was sent all that I was asking for but none of it would work in coreldraw. I finally asked for him to just send me a high resolution image and I can make that work. The image he sent me was 7000x7000, but it came from what appeared to be a vectorized version of a low resolution image. Needless to say, i spent about 30 minutes re-creating it which was way less than what I spent back and forth with him!

TimToad

Its not often enough that I find it annoying.

I consider it part of the trade. If I can't clean something up enough through the trace functions of AI or CorelDraw, etc. and my own computer skills for a standard $25 or so fee, then we let the customer know that we can do further refinement but the meter is running.

I used to love the Adobe Streamline program, but I think AI's trace features and others have greatly improved on its capabilities.

dlndesign

I check those websites first, especially if its a brand that I recognize. I've gone through the same steps with designers, and why can't it be as simple as "ok, here it is", and it just worked. What do these designers do to educate themselves to say, hey maybe I should prepare my work for this application, instead of just saving a PNG or a JPEG.
Its not like its hard, they did create the logo, didn't they? Or they probably farmed it out and took credit. Anywho.. sorry for the rant.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Sometimes you can find a pdf file on their website that has a vector logo in it somewhere.

shoresigns

Sometimes you can find a pdf file on their website that has a vector logo in it somewhere.

This works often for me. Don't browse their site though, I just Google site:clientsite.com filetype:pdf and download the first 10 PDFs that come up, drop them into Illustrator and see if any have a vector - often there's a few that don't and then one that does.