• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reach out an touch......

steriltech

Hi All,
I been doing this for 1 year yes 1 year. I started with a master cutter which I must say never got it to work cause I did not know anything at the time about the cutter or buss.. so I sold it got a nother a ups dropped it off the truck so I settled for a 12" roland and I now have a12",24"and a 50" roland cutter I guess I was I went coocoo for cutters!

I have done decals of all kinds alot of my own creation also alot for truck and cars.I work from a small shop at home. I reside in pennsauken new jersey USA. I want to know is there some one who also dose the same an lives near by that dose color I never saw it done an want to learn and know some one to exchange ideas with.

Is there any one In the penssauken area? Who work with color cutters. Thats hope so hear fro anyone.....:U Rock:

steriltech

I would like to see whats really involved when it comes to a real shop, and maybe see a color cutter in action. Keep in mind everything I learn was self tought..

I would love to see and hear from some one who is already there.I wanted to get a color cutter but affraid due to I ahve no idea whats involved when it comes to that aspect of the trade.

Its not easy to walking into a shop and say could I look and see how things are done......:rolleyes: Buy reaching out I hope to get invited and meet new people...after all we have something incomon....Hey Thanks for the reply!!!:thankyou: It was kind of you .. Thanks you. Tony

steriltech

Hi
I started to get in this last year I have to say I have done well considering I did it alone. I want to see how a real shop worked see a sign being done. I am amazed of the trade so much that I feel in love with it!

I read how to apply but want to see it in action.I don't want to impose I want an insite.I read the threds hear them talk of the machines beeing use,but have know idea what the even look like.

I guess in plane english Iwant to learn.... Thanks for your reply.

iSign

Please double check your plain English.

You are asking hard working professionals to take you seriously AND to offer some of their valuable time.

Why don't you take the time to write like a professional.

After all, spelling is a part of this trade & first impressions should be an important part of any business mentality.

That is just a sugestion. Take it for what it's worth... it's only my opinion... but I wouldn't say it if I didn't believe it was good advice.

steriltech

Why is it that some one always has to be sarcastick....I had only a few mins to reply to a thread and didn't have time to go back and check my spelling! So hear cometh the bashing.....

"You are asking hard working professionals to take you seriously AND to offer some of their valuable time".

I simply wanted to reach out and hopefully meet some one else near by in the biss!! and what did I get? some ones opinion about my spelling . I see miss spellings all the time its called read in between the lines you know what the person is trying to say. You don't have to bring it to the publics attention.Have you ever heard of some times you should keep your advice to your self..........I am sick of bashers!!!

This is not a thesis I'm writing it's a thread it's ok to misspell a word little buddy! It will happen to all including professionals. Your advice has been taken.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Why is it that some one always has to be sarcastick....I had only a few mins to reply to a thread and didn't have time to go back and check my spelling! So hear cometh the bashing.....

"You are asking hard working professionals to take you seriously AND to offer some of their valuable time".

I simply wanted to reach out and hopefully meet some one else near by in the biss!! and what did I get? some ones opinion about my spelling . I see miss spellings all the time its called read in between the lines you know what the person is trying to say. You don't have to bring it to the publics attention.Have you ever heard of some times you should keep your advice to your self..........I am sick of bashers!!!

This is not a thesis I'm writing it's a thread it's ok to misspell a word little buddy! It will happen to all including professionals. Your advice has been taken.

As previously noted, fundamental to this trade is the written word which includes but is not limited to elementary spelling and grammar. If you cannot demonstrate the ability to deal with these basics, how then do you expect anyone to understand what you want, let alone supply it?

If you want to be treated seriously, try not to appear a functional illiterate as well as make an attempt to learn some of the basic nomenclature used in the trade. Not only will you make yourself understood, among most civilized beings, it's considered good manners.

wildside

My first thought would be to research "color cutters". The internet is a wealth of information, if you call a "professional shop" and ask if you can come look at their "color cutter" they most likely will laugh in your face.

I know of a guy in the business, or claims to be, that will call me up and ask me if i have any "red paper". i always tell him "red vinyl" and he says it is the same difference, well its not.

my "color cutter" happens to be gray with black trim and cuts colored vinyl..sorry i couldn't resist:peace!:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I would imagine, if you want to go to a local sign shop for a ‘Quickie Lesson’ that can be arranged. You’ll need to bring the vinyl, the files, ink, squeegees, tape, substrates, paint, rulers and… well why don’t we just do it at your shop and we can show you on your own tools. No sense learning on our stuff. That would be like learning to fix a ‘Mack’ truck when you want to learn how to fix a window air conditioner. Anyway, after you bring all of your things to the shop, you’ll need to spring for lunch… and after work we go across the street and my flavor is ‘Old Mill’ and I drink a lot.

If you’d still like to do this and we can fit you into a schedule one day, we need to next talk about tech support and how much you’re willing to spend.

You see Steriltech, I first thought you wanted some information. Everyone here is willing to give information to you at their convenience, but to give you lessons which is the direction it sounds like now… well that’s a different story. There are schools set up all over the country that will teach you the ‘How To’s’ about any area of this industry, but you must pay for it. It’s a business. You can also buy videos or CD’s for the same thing. Many of us here have spent years, even decades at learning…. and continue to learn and really aren’t set up to just have you waltz in and day dream for a day or so, unless you want to pay for it. You see, being in business means… you’re making a living at something which boils down to money exchanging hands for a service or product.

Big eyes and a wanting to learn are great partners while doing this, but asking for freebie help, such as you indicating now is going a little too far.

My suggestion to would be… get a job in a shop that does this sort of thing and see if they can help you. Be up front with them and tell them you’re only there until you can learn what you need and then you’re history. I’m sure they’ll gladly pay you to become their competition.

ps.. there’s no good business sense in biting the hand that feeds you. I wouldn’t piss these other posters off, just because you don’t like their answers... or they speak the truth.

Good Luck…

i have people call me everyday and ask if they can buy me lunch and "pick my brain" i just read a book that had a answer to this question....and here is my new reply.

"my brain picking fee is $250 per hour and I'll buy the lunch"

why does everyone think we should just give away what we have all learned through many years of real life experience.

steriltech

Boy I guess I asked the wrong question.......I will NOT be asking questions here no more..I think they should change this sites name to signs pro instead of 101. Due to 101 is a beginners class.

S

Stan B

The thing is you are asking for something very valuable and obviously you don't see & understand the value of it. It all learned the hard way and if you want just to come and see it all just for fun & general "why not" I doubt that anyone will be much helpful to you. I guess you can try with a different approach.

S

Stan B

that is made for your case is called a Trades Show. There will be lots of people willing to show you how it works, let you play with it and benefit from your ideas :)

ColesCreations

I don't know if I should go there, but...
We're also new in the business, about 2 years now, and have made many of the mistakes a lot of people on this site are warning others about.
One of the first things I learned in school / life a couple decades ago, was; if you can't do it right, don't do it at all...
Steriltech, you don't take well meant advise well. I see no ill meaning in the advise from iSign. When asking others for their time, it's kind of like a job interview, you want to appear serious. Read through your first post, you may agree with iSign.
As for color cutter, we bought on e-Bay... A Summa Durachrome printer, 50" wide color print, a bit outdated, but the advantage is it uses foils in stead of ink, so it does not have to be run every day. (That's the color part:)
We also have an Epson 10600 printer, which is waterbased, and produces stunning graphics on coated vinyl, paper, and fabric, for indoor use.
The Cutter part, is the Summa T-140 that came with the Durachrome from e-Bay, it's probably among the best there are, even at 7-8 years old.
You have to make your own decision whether to buy from e-bay or not, but the price we paid for the printer and plotter would not cover a refurbished T-cutter from Summa. We did not receive the dongle from the seller though, that was one of our start-up problems... (He was almost killed in an accident, lucky to receive anything at all)
Come to Norway and see what we do! Most people here will not notice a few mis-spelled words in English... How is your Norwegian?

Last edited:

steriltech

ColesCreations,

Thanks for your reply! you have provided alot of info as to some answers I would of had about a color cutter/printer. All I wanted was to meet some one with a running shop to see what was in volved.

I know now that if some day I have that chance to show some one I will..I won't bash on anyones english nor spelling and I came across some people who have misspelled words. Thanks for your advice there should be more of you in this biss.

Ken

I also would recommend that you attend a sign-making/graphic arts trade show. SignCraft magazine is well worth the subscription price for a newbie.
If you're ever out in BC, you're welcome to drop into my shop.
Signage/graphic arts IS all about communication. Spelling and grammar are paramount to accomplishing this goal. I always proof-read my posts and double, triple proof-read my sign layouts before starting production.
It's a sign-makers worst nightmare to send out a sign with a spelling error.
Or dyslexic numbers. It's all part of this BIZ.
Ken
...Apparently nobody noticed my spelling error in the last Corporate Identity assignment..LOL(blush)

chopper

this is what i did I want to my local supplier that sells the machines they will be more than willing to show you how it works, (yea they want to sell you one) go to more than one to check out diffrent brands and types, true solvent vs, eco solvent, vs, uv pigment etc..and go to trade shows read sign mags, look up info on the net get how to discs or tutorials from say roland, mutho, mimaki etc... or suppliers sometimes have this info also, but that is not all that is involved with digital printing, you will need to laminate, weather you use the big squegee, or get a laminator, you will also need to have software that will allow you to print, the laminator somtimes costs just as much as the printer,
you will need to do alot of research before you buy, but this should get you started in the right direction any way, dont worry I have a spellin' problem also that is what spell check is for...( I think Iam the only dyslexic sign guy)
hope this helps //chopper

steriltech

Thanks Guys that makes me feel better not like under attack by the bashers cause I didn't proof read my thread! I started out by my self didn't ever know what a cutter was nor looked like? All I new was I wanted to try it and now I love it! I will look into these Resources Oh and chopper your not the only dyslexic one here my bashing proved that!
Thanks all!!!