• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reading Architectural Plans for wayfinding signage

Andrewb417

Hello,
So a new client just sent us architectural drawings for a new building. In the plans, there is a page that shows 9 different types of signs they want to be made and reference numbers to find them on the plan. I'm looking over the floor plans and can't find any of the reference numbers for the signs. I'm not at liberty to post pictures of the plans but if you have any experience in reading plans and could offer any advice, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Without seeing the plans, it's impossible to answer...
Sound like the wayfinding plan is not complete

We design wayfinding plans, normally in EGD/wayfinding the design in a design submittal package, a location plan showing the sign types by numbers and location, and a message schedule that shows what the sign says... we also have a legend so its easy to reference the design to the location and message...

gnemmas

We avoid (unable) to read blue print, so we want clients to call out the specs from their blue print. This way, if there are omissions or miscounts, it will not be our responsibility.

visual800

call the architect and ask them wtf! Ive been reading plans for a quite a while and they hide specs in places you would never know. I despise blueprints and when architects design signage

2B

Yes this is a fairly common occurrence when trying to read architectural drawings / blueprints. The easiest is to submit an RFI to the Contracting firm.

Regarding your dilemma, without seeing how they are indexing and categorizing there's no way to give you a easy answer. If you have the page that gives you the specs on the sign types and what is needed, you can usually cross reference this back to the Finish room schedule and or door schedule to get an idea of quantity. In the end everything is always proofed and the contractor or end-user must sign off on what is being made and how it is supposed to look.

Sent from my SAMSUNG using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vincesigns

For a modest fee you can get help with the "take-off" from the below firm. They are experts at this and the time saved is worth the price;

Professional assistance for all phases of the construction bid process.

Dan Scranton, Business Development
Pro-UP Bid Services Support
mobile: 828-216-9679 | email: DJS@Pro-UP.net