• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ready for a printer

mrmoto95

Hello, I was hoping for some feedback regarding printers. I think we are ready to buy but there are a few to choose from. We are a small shop and it would be for mostly banners at first and some tradeshow type foam core stuff. So therefore it would not be running constantly. WHat do you think would be the best startup machine for this. Probably be a 54 inch or so, once we learn the machine maybe use it more vehicle stuff labels and such. Would a print/cut be best. I just don't know. Any help would be appreciated.

4R Graphics

Well to be totally honest with you if you don't have enough work to keep the printer running at least a few days a week keep subing it out.

veloxgraphics

For what it's worth, i thought i would want a print/cut machine too. I ended up with a Roland, and it works great. In hindsight, however, I wish I had purchased 2 separate machines. A standalone printer, and a standalone cutter. The Roland does OK at cutting, but I recently checked out a Graphtec cutter and it was amazing. Also, separating the 2 lets you run multiple jobs, parts of jobs, etc at once. If your printer goes down, your cutter still works, and vice versa.

Also, get a printer that can at least print white. Being able to print white on transparent material before printing color would open up more possibilities.

Just my .02

klingsdesigns

i got a vp-540 and love it.. It was my first printer.. You have to get a laminator also.. Def get a 54 inch or bigger otherwise you are going to want to upgrade right away. I wish i could print white though. Only had a few requests for it though. I also have a graphtec plotter. People always say sub it out and don't buy one unless you have enough business. True- but when i had people want prints i couldn't wait 3 days to get my sub printed.. So i just went for it, and can say it was the best decision. I rarely use my plotter anymore.

2B

For what it's worth, i thought i would want a print/cut machine too. I ended up with a Roland, and it works great. In hindsight, however, I wish I had purchased 2 separate machines. A standalone printer, and a standalone cutter. The Roland does OK at cutting, but I recently checked out a Graphtec cutter and it was amazing. Also, separating the 2 lets you run multiple jobs, parts of jobs, etc at once. If your printer goes down, your cutter still works, and vice versa.

Also, get a printer that can at least print white. Being able to print white on transparent material before printing color would open up more possibilities.

Just my .02

:goodpost:

Matt-Tastic

Just my .02

If you won't have enough work to keep it running daily, then white ink will just have you throwing more money down the drain. You need a print that will be just fine sitting for a few days at a time. Most of your eco-solvent printers will do that just fine, but the HP Latex is really the best in this regard. I've had one sitting, without power, in a box, for over a month with little to no issues. Because they are so popular, you can get some good deals on them.

If you have your heart set on a solvent, and want something rugged AND flexible, a Mimaki JV33 is a workhorse. you'll have to clean/run it daily to keep it happy, but if you take care of it, it'll take care of you.

Getting a separate cutter is also an excellent idea. If you have the space, you'll get a lot more bang for your buck.

Mosh

Get what you can pay cash for. If you have to borrow money, then sub out until you can pay cash! I started out hand painting....in 1988.

As far as printers go, ROLAND all the way!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Get what you can pay cash for. If you have to borrow money, then sub out until you can pay cash! I started out hand painting....in 1988.

As far as printers go, ROLAND all the way!

Sounds like a young Old Paint coming up through the ranks....)))))))))))))))))

Pat Whatley

If your main focus is banners you don't need a printer. You can buy them wholesale, with finished edges and grommets for under $1 psf. You'll have to do about 75,000 sf of banners before you've justified the cost.

Just my 2¢ worth of opinion (backed up by simple mathematics.)

petepaz

if you can't run the printer at least 4 out 5 days of the week (although my work week is 6-7 days..haha) then like already mentioned you may want to hold off on purchasing. also you will need a laminator, another expense. i know people have different opinions on the print cut system but we have had roland print/cut machines for over 8 yrs and no problems we just bought 5th roland last month and if money is an issue if you get the print cut system you save some money there and if it's a problem then when business picks up go buy an additional cutter. the main thing is if you have the business right now to justify a printer go for it but if you are buying a printer and have to find the business to help pay for it you are asking for trouble

heyskull

Lots of good replies here.
Go the way of 2 machines 1 print 1 cut.
This can almost double your output.
Yes the printer needs to run as much as possible and when it is not running it still uses ink for its cleaning function.

I'm running a Mutoh Valuejet 1604 and Mutoh SC1400D plotter.
I would buy another Valuejet at the drop of a hat.
it has had minimal parts and after 5 years still on its original printhead.

SC

Mainframe

I would check out what Roland has to offer, I have had a VP 540 for almost 5 years and it has been awesome! Having the cutter built in is a plus for all of the times I need to print then cut without lam. I would buy it again in a heartbeat, and as a bonus Roland has nice RIP software that has some color matching built in, it works really well and my customers Love to know what color they are getting and I don't have to worry about what is coming out after final proofing.

I don't know much about white printing but what I have heard it is a hassle. I don't get a call for printing on white so it doesn't matter. Also you will enjoy not having to worry about messing up an install or needing an ad on to a job, just fire up the machine and go, you can't do that when you sub out. I subbed for a little while and it was a nightmare for me, which drove me to buy the printer. Best move I made for a long time.

I didn't need to have separate cutters because I already had one. Which since you are already up and running I assume you have one too.

Good luck

ps I do larger sign jobs also so I have had gaps where I have not printed for 5 days in a row and just fired it up and it printed fine. This has happened about 6 or 7 times in 5 years but mostly due to me going camping.

mrmoto95

Thanks for all the replies. For the ones who have Roland, what about fumes? Or smell. I know teh latex has no smell and some Eco-solvents

redbarn

Roland VP series has no fumes to speak of, you occasionally can smell an odor but it's usually the vinyl heating. I love mine, I also have a graphtec plotter- they are cheap and I don't see the big deal in having both. Having a print/cut machine really makes life much easier in many circumstances. Had mine since '07 and replaced one print head in that time and that is all the trouble I've had out of it. very happy with my printer, Roland the Inkslinger

SIGNTIME

we have had our roland xj540 for 2.5 years now and it works great there was a learning curve but im sure the will be with any printer as far as print cut seperate or together if you have the space get them seperate for sure and the price is basically the same. make sure your plotter matched the width you can print and cut, that was the one mistake we made we have a 54" printer that you can print 52" on but our plotter can only find crop marks up to 47"... white ink would be nice for a couple of jobs a year but imo not worth it

rcook99

As a newbie to solvent less than a year with my own printer. I would also suggest seperate printer and cutter. I am not sure but if you have a cutter or printer problem with the roland you may not be able to do anything. (Maybe Mosh or Gino can clarify)
With 2 seperate pieces you will still be able to cut or print even when one is down.

I have had my Mutoh VJ1204 from Graphic Resource Systems since last June and love it. I have it matched up with a Graphtec FC7000-75.

trimitbyrich

I've had quite a few print cut devises. Recently I switched to a stand alone Roland Re640 (which I love by the way!) and a Roland Gx640 plotter. I like having them separate. We've seen a good increase in our productivity because while we are setting up a cut we can keep right on printing. Most important advice I can give you, invest in a take up reel. It will definitely save you money I the long run. The best gadget we ever purchased for our business.

fmg

Mimaki JV33 or Roland VP540 Both great machines an deliver really nice results.The Roland will cost you more but you do get the print cut facility.Not ever had much use for silver or White.