• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Real job of a leader - is taking care of those in our charge.

signage

Great video! Almost all managers today want to micro manage, this is a big problem. This guy hit the nail dead center of the head!

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Almost all managers today want to micro manage, this is a big problem.

Either that, or they manage by proxy (leaving daily managerial decisions to key employees), or they abdicate all together. One shop where I worked was basically managed by the union, and the "management" only implemented their directives.

Monthly minutes of union meetings were required to be posted, and nearly 99% of the directives handed down could have been easily taken care of "in-house", and with very little effort. I was appalled to discover that the majority of time, energy and funding (union dues) was wasted on such petty stuff.

Never again...never again.

Self-employment is a tough row to hoe, but the freedom from that kind of tyranny is worth every drop of blood and sweat.

JB

Last edited:

96XP

In the past - I had a prop making studio for many years. Was difficult hiring qualified hands as everyone wanted to be part of the 'fun'.
Not many could meet up with their claims; then it dawned on me to setup a skill test as part of the interview.
So I setup a workbench with various power/air/manual tools, parts, pieces, shapes and other related items, then had them perform various tasks with each.
In brief, I could see if they had any experience, the speed, confidence and basic problem solving skills; not to mention, the motivation to learn.
---
So would it not be helpful to setup a similar scenario, whereby setting up a sequence of short tests, both analogue/digital - relating to both machines and software knowledge?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That was 15 minutes I'll never get back. These self promoters are really great. That's the only claim to fame they have.

You must learn your job and learn it right. Either work your way to the top by doing good and being part of the company.... or know someone at the top. Any good leader knows, as you drive to the top, you must learn to delegate more and more and you need to stay outta their way of those you delegate to, but you must keep an eye on it, as he said, afterall you are responsible for putting them there. Make sure they do ya right. That crap about worrying about someone else having a bad day or just not doing their part is poppycock. You're not a mind reader. If you're not in a hurry, or ya feel considerate that day..... do as you wish, but don't worry about what's on their agenda. Like he said, you can only be good for you and your own. Be considerate and kind, but don't be foolish.

These guys just like to use buzz words and figure new key words to get peoples' attention. He said he was talking to 10's of thousands of people. How much do you think each and every person paid to hear his stuff ?? That's where the money really is...... sounding like ya mean something, have some good material to talk about and be able to back up your findings. Not to mention how many CDs he sells out in the hallway. Wonder if he sells T-shirts ?? Maybe we could get in on it, too........​

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
How about this....best lessons I had was to work for some people who were selfish, degrading & treated their employees like crap. Just be the anthesis of them with a measured amount of understanding and compassion. I would hope my employees feel that I treat them fairly and with respect & I get the same in return.

Gene@mpls

Before starting a signshop [zero sign knowledge] I had a company restoring old Corvettes [I did most of the work myself] and with both professions I noticed that companies were often started by [disgruntled] crafts-persons- who knew the craft but not how to manage people. Employees or customers.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Before starting a signshop [zero sign knowledge] I had a company restoring old Corvettes [I did most of the work myself] and with both professions I noticed that companies were often started by [disgruntled] crafts-persons- who knew the craft but not how to manage people. Employees or customers.

Ever heard of or read Emyth? The "Entrepreneurial Myth" is basically just what you described - Technicians that are good at what they do and think starting their own business is easy and they can "be the man". Then obviously reality sets in and you realize just doing the work is only one small piece of the equation - you also have to manage people, time, money etc etc.

Really good book and concept. We actually just started working with one of their coaches and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I worked for a food company once. They would only hire people with I believe it was B personalities or those who were not "hyper". I was an A personality and they hired me based on my skills, not my personality because they had no B personality options that had the right skillset. During my first day the HR person told me she was SHOCKED I was hired, I knew I was in trouble. I hated it. I am organized and get things done, I don't like to mess around, but I'm not a mean person to work with. Everyone was SUPER nice to work with, there were very few hot heads however, very little work ever got done. Nobody could stay on task, make a decision and it was an absolute nightmare. I think the original idea to hire only "nice people" was good but that needs to be balanced with "do-ers" or it's nothing but a $hit show. I had to quit after 2 years because it caused me too much anxiety. It worked out because I opened my business. Balance is the key and putting the right personalities in the right positions.

ikarasu

It goes both ways. If an employee keeps screwing up and doesn't care... Why keep him around?

Some of what he says is good. But every situation is different. I don't like layoffs, but sometimes culling a few people is better than a dozen or two losing their job.

Motivational speakers are just there to get money. Their advice isn't always bad, but it's usually always not useful in every situation.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
96XP wants us to be more empathic, Robert says we need to listen more..... Ginjulou wants us to buy high quality aluminum...

One of you is not on board...

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Oh my, you put a 6" gash in the top roller of my new laminator........are feeling ok?
No, my goldfish died yesterday. My girlfriend gave it to me right before I caught her banging the neighbor. It's so hard....it was named after her - peaches. So many memories. I know we're real busy but can I go home early? I do have sick time you know

96XP

I Did? Interesting...

Please let the audience know which colored wires you chose to cross in order to fabricate your allegation.

Glass half empty much?

96XP wants us to be more empathic, Robert says we need to listen more..... Ginjulou wants us to buy high quality aluminum...

One of you is not on board...

Last edited: