• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Real-life Dilbert moments...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I heard that kinda stuff already. My sister once said after a nice snow..... it's about a half deep.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I also once overheard him telling a customer who was trying to submit a PDF file, that "EPS is better -- been around long before Adobe"

Later, I discreetly mentioned to him that EPS stands for Encapsulated PostScript, which, of course was invented by Adobe. I think he may be still processing that in his mind.

(yes, he is very nearly like Dilbert's pointy-haired boss, but taller)

Dr. Decal

My boss once got angry because of the cheap vinyl that was used on my blank sheets of aluminum.

He was referring to the protective plastic that comes on all of them.

I told him he should probably call somebody to complain.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
This just in

"...I need a plain white banner grommets need to be 4’ wide apart and it needs to be 2 ½’ long.
Nothing on it, just plain white."

Johnny Best

So do you feel like Dilbert, my sister is just like Alice. Maybe he was thinking extrasensory perception being around for a long time.

oldgoatroper

Couple years ago, my employer, a long-time family business, retired and sold out to a large, nation-wide printer.

One of the new things was we had to hand-fill out a special form for every order despite there being a computer/web record of it. In particular, the order number had to written in RED pen, for some reason. At the end of the day all of the day's hand-filled orders with the RED order numbers were then scanned to PDF and emailed to head office, then shredded.

When I discovered that the scan to PDF was stipulated to be in black and white to save bandwidth and storage space, I stopped looking for a red pen everytime I filled that form -- and so did everyone else.

As we began to realize the ridiculousness of some of the day-to-day duties, we started signing our names upside down on every form -- and nobody at head office ever made mention of it... hehehe

binki

I showed a picture of my dogs to the boss, an Ausie and a Lab and he said 'They look the same, but different'. :confused:

oldgoatroper

Today boss is writing an order and asks... "How do you spell Mustard Point?" (has written many orders for these over the years)...

I'm not kidding.

shoresigns

This morning my boss says, in all seriousness, that a mil is "a millionth of a thickness"

I kid you not....

At least they're not saying "mil" to refer to millimetres. We get confused by that all the time here in Canada with our stupid hybrid metric/Imperial system.

oldgoatroper

At least they're not saying "mil" to refer to millimetres. We get confused by that all the time here in Canada with our stupid hybrid metric/Imperial system.

but that's what started the discussion. We are in Canada and the Boss thinks that 'mil' and millimetre are kinda sorta maybe interchangeable even though a 'mil' is a "millionth of a thickness" :p

3-mil vinyl versus "3-mil" dibond and "3-mil" sintra and "4-mil" coroplast -- simply doesn't see a problem with that.

Last edited:

Andy D

My second sign job was for a 70 year guy that couldn't turn on a computer to save his life.

He forbid us from saving any sign designs on the computer, because he had heard hard drives could crash.
He made us save all of our jobs on 3 1/2" disks. Every time I had to find a job we had done before, I literally had to search through hundreds of 3 1/2" disks. I only worked there a month.

Last edited:

Andy D

My boss once got angry because of the cheap vinyl that was used on my blank sheets of aluminum.

He was referring to the protective plastic that comes on all of them.
I told him he should probably call somebody to complain.

My boss made a banner one day I was out, he applied cut vinyl copy to mesh banner
material. What's worse is he applied it the the back side on top of the protective film.