• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Real world applications for UV varnish/clear (large/wide format)

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
What are the real world applications for UV varnish with large/wide format printing.
and how popular do you find it?

I know you can flood finish media for a gloss finish, or Spot varnish to make parts of an image gloss etc. I have the coke can file and have printed it before with UV. (we removed Varnish on our printer and added a 2nd white channel instead)

Anyone running it in a production shop?
What are you using it for.
Do you feel like it's a total waste?

I know people use it for business cards and little decore things, but that's on those little A3 printers.

Bly

We are trade print and have never been asked for varnish.
We use white ink most days though and having 2 white channels is great.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
The only time I've ever seen it used is at trade shows. Nearly everyone has converted it back to a second white channel.

We are trade print and have never been asked for varnish.
We use white ink most days though and having 2 white channels is great.

Ah same thoughts. i was thinking if i should give it a go again or not waste my time again.
Think i'll not bother with it.

I see it on business cards (mine have it and my new ones will have it too) but other than applications like that and the marketing applications from Canon or SwissQprint i can't personally see a real world use for it.

I'm just curious if anyone really uses it.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
A real-world application would be as a texture builder, braille, or tactile.

You can also do cool effects on clear acrylic like substrates.

i have seen some near applications on clear media light frosted and clear looks etc. But on a production machine?
you can build up brail with white ink too.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Its a niche thing. Mostly for spot use...not flood UV protection. Gives a nice effect for some retail use.

Christian @ 2CT Media

i have seen some near applications on clear media light frosted and clear looks etc. But on a production machine?
you can build up brail with white ink too.
Yes you can with white, but if you have a good varnish you can simulate clear raster spheres. I think it really comes down to your specific uses and your clients. For most including us Varnish doesn't make sense.