• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Really bad skewing when print, laminate then cut. HELP!

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Hello everyone. I have a Roland VP540 and I have a big problem when I try to cut the material. Material starts sliding to the left (away from the control panel) even If i try to cut a 5' material! I don't have any problem with prints; I can easily print out 30-40' without reloading the material. But when it comes to print - laminate - cut... forget it!

Of course every time I Print I always make sure the material is nice and tight and pull on the middle and wiggle the material left and right to make sure its straight. Then I do a sheet cut and after that I print then cold laminate it. After that I put the material back to the machine. I align the material up with the plastic strip using the sheet cut straight line. Feed the material forward until the black dots are on top of the plastic strip and do a base point. But material starts skewing like CRAZY as soon as the machine start looking for the dots on the back.

1) I cleaned the machine. Front and back. To make sure there are no sticky dirt anywhere on the metal parts.
2) Checked the pinch rollers on the outside to make sure the markings are on the outside. Also the rubber was secured to the base of the pinch roller, no cracks either.
3) Spoke to Roland and they advised to get new ones because the rubber tends to warp if I leave the lever down all the time.
So actually I installed brand new pinch rollers with the little markings facing out. NO HELP! Still skewing.
4) I did both feed and scan calibration but it didn't help.
5) I cleaned the metal strip using the roland cleaning liquid ( Is that strip is the one with the holes in every two inches???)
6) I tried only 2 but also 3 and 4 pinch rollers! no help.
7) Environmental setting enabled, disabled; doesn't matter
8) The pinch rollers are always on laminated material. All pinch rollers are rolling on the same thickness-laminated material.
When the printer finds the the back dots and it comes back for the first/front dot the material does skewing back to the right directions. But eventually all the back and forth rolling will make the material skew to the left soo much the the right pinch roller will eventually not hold the material anymore.

kanini

Have you checked beneath the media clamps for goo that usually builds up from laminate glue etc.? I switched to long media clamps on one of our Versacamms for the first time recently and the mess beneath them was downright ugly. It didn't affect media skewing yet but I can imagine if you have some goo there and the media feeds forward and backwards it can rub off fresh glue and start to stick to the media. Other that that you of course have enough media at the back behind the black dots on your print? And you don't have any laminate sticking out of the edge of the print? Just throwing in my 0.02 here... Hope you get it solved!

SIGNTIME

is the vinyl moving or are your cuts off? or both and how much? sounds like its out of square or something is causing it to not feed evenly like glue residue on the grit roller as mentioned or something...

rjssigns

Sounds like a grit roll is slipping on the driveshaft. Time to remove the covers and check.

Another issue is they do not tolerate long runs, period. Or heavy material.
We tend to keep runs to no more than 5 feet.

We've done longer with huge bleeds, but one person is in front and one in back "helping" the feed. PITA

CSOCSO

Hi everyone. Thanks for the replies.
I don't use the media clamps when cutting ( only when printing when the printheads might get stuck) And I know exactly what you talking about, I am cleaning them regularly.

The material is not heavy. Roland tech also pointed out the same thing. So we held up the material both front and back side to help the machine pulling the material. Won't fix the problem!

My vinyl is moving/skewing. I calibrated the feed and scan options.

"grit roll is slipping on the driveshaft"

You mean the metal roll which is underneath the pinch rollers?

rjssigns

Hi everyone. Thanks for the replies.
I don't use the media clamps when cutting ( only when printing when the printheads might get stuck) And I know exactly what you talking about, I am cleaning them regularly.

The material is not heavy. Roland tech also pointed out the same thing. So we held up the material both front and back side to help the machine pulling the material. Won't fix the problem!

My vinyl is moving/skewing. I calibrated the feed and scan options.

"grit roll is slipping on the driveshaft"

You mean the metal roll which is underneath the pinch rollers?

Yup. Those grit rolls are attached to a shaft. I haven't looked at mine in depth but assume they are attached either by set screws or roll pins. In the latter case a pin could have sheared or fallen out. Either way pull a couple covers and have a peek.

CSOCSO

Update. Wow what a day... not sure if I fixed anything yet but I cleaned the encoder strip. The actual encoder strip! I was cleaning something else for no reason. Lol. I thought the encoder strip was that metal bar that looks kinda polished and it has screws every few inches. I googled it and found a video about the actual strip I needed to clean. The only problem is that I took the screws out of that bar that was holding the encoder strip! Yeah.... FACEPALM*
It really crossed my mind how is this strip is actually stays straight once I put it together but I just cleaned it and put it back together without any effort to try to make the strip stay straight.
Did a print and then I realized I did something horribly bad. The crop marks were printed sooo bad I almost cried. I was sure I ruined something really bad. Took the bar off again to losen the encoder strip and I aligned the strip 1mm above all across the screw holes so it wasn't sagging on the middle no more. I had hard time make the strip stay in place so I taped the very bottom with a very small vinyl. I did this a few different places and once I saw the encoder was super straight just above the holes I screwed the bar back and did a test print. Crop marks came out perfect. Phew!
But I don't think the material can skew because of any settings in the machine or versaworks software or becauee of the encoder strip... btw that shaft / bar is kinda black at both ends.looks like a blown shock or ballbearings. I tried to take the cover off bu bit looked like pita. Thetecare cables connected for the heater strips snd stuff. So I didn't mess with that. Itd note like I could fix the shaft....