• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Really cool looking storefront!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Just wanted to share this one again, this video has really helped with the movement of the Holographic perf we are doing. A year from now you will see this all over the place! You don't think you can market this for storefront advertising? (This storefront landed them some great business opportunity, immediately.)

bannertime

Have you had anyone mention their city not allowing this? I'm going to see about getting a roll of this soon, but I highly doubt my city (Arlington) would allow this. Specifically not being able to use reflective media for signage. Heck we're limited to just 25% of window space now.

If I was able to get away with it, I'm probably going to have to do contour cut letters.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Have you had anyone mention their city not allowing this? I'm going to see about getting a roll of this soon, but I highly doubt my city (Arlington) would allow this. Specifically not being able to use reflective media for signage. Heck we're limited to just 25% of window space now.

If I was able to get away with it, I'm probably going to have to do contour cut letters.

Not a single issue yet. I would label it as prismatic if they ask. You could always tell them its is just metallic inks, I am not sure how stringent they are but this stuff is going up in alot of areas with no issues. That doesn't mean it cannot become an issue though.

ams

Hey everyone, I purchased a sample roll of this, so I can tell you a little experience with it. The holographics is excellent, but printing is a little weird. Unprinted areas and light colors look amazing, medium colors show some reflection about 50% and areas printed in black do not reflect that I have seen. I haven't done a distance test yet, but overall it's not bad, it seems to be made well. Just know that you need to plan out your print and not just print anything. If you can work strictly with lighter and medium colors only, you will like it. If you do a lot of black or dark colors, you may not like it. Just experiment with it.

T_K

Unprinted areas and light colors look amazing, medium colors show some reflection about 50% and areas printed in black do not reflect that I have seen. I haven't done a distance test yet, but overall it's not bad, it seems to be made well. Just know that you need to plan out your print and not just print anything. If you can work strictly with lighter and medium colors only, you will like it. If you do a lot of black or dark colors, you may not like it. Just experiment with it.

This sounds about what I'd expect. It's kinda like printing on clear or translucent. The darker the ink, the less you see the properties of the original film.

GB2

Old Member
That looks like a really cool product for some specialty applications but I must say that it seemed hard to read anything printed on it and while you are watching the colors the message gets lost. I definately would try it for some unique accents though.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
That looks like a really cool product for some specialty applications but I must say that it seemed hard to read anything printed on it and while you are watching the colors the message gets lost. I definately would try it for some unique accents though.
how much is a roll of this?

It is priced very effectively and just call us up and ask for Jordan or Josh 800-421-6167 and we will get you all setup. It's not much more than our standard perf. You can email us all day at jordan@gansink.com and I am at jcormany@gansink.com

ams

Use lighter or medium colors and it'll be easier to read. Also the video is in motion, if you were moving slow or standing still, it's perfectly readable.

Johnny Best

Going to get some Purple Double Dome and head to Burningman next year with some of Bigfish's material.
Maybe this would tweek bob and ddarlak's
burningman.jpg
interest.

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
The human eye/brain responds to movement. A moving sign gets immediate attentions from passers by. This is why many cities do not allow moving signs.
In this case, the moving sign effect is caused by the motion of the viewer, so technically the sign is not moving. I would be willing to bet that the local sign code cannot ban this.

Johnny Best

The human eye/brain responds to movement. A moving sign gets immediate attentions from passers by. This is why many cities do not allow moving signs.
In this case, the moving sign effect is caused by the motion of the viewer, so technically the sign is not moving. I would be willing to bet that the local sign code cannot ban this.
Yea, I can see you using that logic of the human eye/brain responce on a code enforcement guy.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Never quite heard it put like that. I was taught that your peripheral vision is what makes one look from side to side as things out of your normal vision catch your attention. Those things of which are in our normal gazing area, whether they're moving, colorful or huge.... basically go unnoticed, but things catching your attention are those things moving outside your gazing area, which are outside of your 20/20 vision area. Flags, pennants and vibrant colors will all do this for you.

Moving signs, blinking lights, high illumination are all detrimental things when it comes to safety while driving, not walking by. It's a safety hazard, not an eye catcher.

ams

I am going to sell this stuff regardless of code enforcement, because in my area, a window sign is a window signs. There is no difference in it. 95% of window signs do not require a permit. Not backing down due to "it might not be allowed". Most sign and zoning regulations I've met don't know the code and have no idea what they are doing. I've had to correct many of them. So you can argue your way into having it.