• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Really need help diagnosing a laminating problem

Briangudas

Hi guys, driving myself crazy trying to work out the face mount lamination process. Here is what we are using to date

Optix Acrylic -1/8" - 1" but focusing on 3/4"

GBC Arctic View-Thru and Optimount face mount film

Epson Ultrachrome Inkset

Epson Premium Glossy PP or Ilford Galerie Pearl

Diage 38" laminator - this will be replaced this week

Process
1) Print Photos with bleed and let dry 24 hours
2) affix to one side of film to photo using laminator
3) peal and clean optix (using windex clone), have used soapy water as well with similar results
4) face-mount laminated print to optix

In almost every case we are getting what looks like a lepard pattern as light passes the print at an angle and reflects.

There are 2 examples of the issue in my albums here - http://signs101.com/forums/album.php?albumid=403

(Sorry couldn't figure out how to insert the photo itself here)

Theories
1) Glue residue that is not being removed from the optix
2) Lack of pressure to completely activate the laminate
3) Outgassing from the print

Note - the only real time this never happens is when we mount metallic prints. Makes me think it is a print issue but the reflection looks like a glue pattern to me... would really appreciate some adult guidance on this one...

Thanks
b

Briangudas

That looks like windex/soapy water leaving a residue under your print... try pure denatured Alcohol.

@2CT I thought the same (or that it was glue residue) as well but I could not figure out why this never happened with metallic prints and only inkjet? Any thoughts?