• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reclaimed Wood & Dimensional letters

CeeJay

So I have recently been approached by a couple customers requesting this reclaimed wood style of sign with dimensional letters. I have been told that these can be difficult to get permitted as they need to have fire retardant wood and whatnot. I am more interested in what is the nuts and bolts way to put this together? What backing substrate and what not?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_79761.jpg
    IMG_79761.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 405

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Never knew they were worried about exterior signs fire rating. Doesn't make a lot of sense when they make houses and buildings with wood siding.

Now on the interior they worry about fire rating and what gasses materials give off as they burn.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Never knew they were worried about exterior signs fire rating. Doesn't make a lot of sense when they make houses and buildings with wood siding.

Now on the interior they worry about fire rating and what gasses materials give off as they burn.

Makes a lot of sense... all wood siding has a fire rating... whether it has the correct fire rating for the application is more of an issue with the company attaching it to the structure...

Rick

This is from the LA Building code:

(c) Design and Construction. Sign frames and sign support structures shall be designed and constructed in conformity with other applicable provisions of this code, and, in addition, shall comply with the following:

1. Each sign and sign support structure shall be designed to resist the wind pressure as required by Section 91.2311 of this code.

2. Structural steel members shall be not less than 1/4-inch thick if ungalvanized, and 3/16-inch thick if such members, including connecting bolts and fastenings, are galvanized or otherwise treated with approved weatherproofing. Bolts used to support signs equal or greater than 100 square feet in area shall not be less than 1⁄2-inch in diameter. Bolts supporting signs less than 100 square feet in area shall not be less than 3/8-inch in diameter.

Signs erected on buildings or structures shall be securely attached by means of adequate metal brackets, expansion bolts, through bolts, or lag s c r e w s . No materials, fabrication, or equipment shall be used which may become dangerous because of vibration, corrosion, disintegration, or any other reason. Wire, other than stranded cable, shall not be used.

If supports of an existing structure are found to be inadequate, they shall be adequately strengthened before the sign is erected.

(d) Materials. Signs and sign support structures may be constructed of any material allowed in this division for the classification of the sign to be installed. Any materials used shall be of the same quality and grade as those specified in this code for use in buildings. In addition, any glass material used in signs shall comply with the limits set forth in Table No. 62-A.

If a coating is going to be used, you might need to find out what Fire Rating it needs to pass. You would be fine if it makes the wood Fire Rated "A" - just document the materials used when submitting for permits.

Personally, I would probably not slap wood against the structure. I would make a frame and attach the wood to that, then hang the structure as a unit... giving the wood and structure a barrier for even more protection.

studio 440

So I have recently been approached by a couple customers requesting this reclaimed wood style of sign with dimensional letters. I have been told that these can be difficult to get permitted as they need to have fire retardant wood and whatnot. I am more interested in what is the nuts and bolts way to put this together? What backing substrate and what not?
Thanks
sculp it all in HDU and give it a faux finish on a alumipanel backing

Sandman

This is from the LA Building code:

(c) Design and Construction. Sign frames and sign support structures shall be designed and constructed in conformity with other applicable provisions of this code, and, in addition, shall comply with the following:

1. Each sign and sign support structure shall be designed to resist the wind pressure as required by Section 91.2311 of this code.

2. Structural steel members shall be not less than 1/4-inch thick if ungalvanized, and 3/16-inch thick if such members, including connecting bolts and fastenings, are galvanized or otherwise treated with approved weatherproofing. Bolts used to support signs equal or greater than 100 square feet in area shall not be less than 1⁄2-inch in diameter. Bolts supporting signs less than 100 square feet in area shall not be less than 3/8-inch in diameter.

Signs erected on buildings or structures shall be securely attached by means of adequate metal brackets, expansion bolts, through bolts, or lag s c r e w s . No materials, fabrication, or equipment shall be used which may become dangerous because of vibration, corrosion, disintegration, or any other reason. Wire, other than stranded cable, shall not be used.

If supports of an existing structure are found to be inadequate, they shall be adequately strengthened before the sign is erected.

(d) Materials. Signs and sign support structures may be constructed of any material allowed in this division for the classification of the sign to be installed. Any materials used shall be of the same quality and grade as those specified in this code for use in buildings. In addition, any glass material used in signs shall comply with the limits set forth in Table No. 62-A.

If a coating is going to be used, you might need to find out what Fire Rating it needs to pass. You would be fine if it makes the wood Fire Rated "A" - just document the materials used when submitting for permits.

Personally, I would probably not slap wood against the structure. I would make a frame and attach the wood to that, then hang the structure as a unit... giving the wood and structure a barrier for even more protection.
Talk about over complicating things. And 1/2 inch bolts for 100 sq feet? This would be code for someplace located in a permanent hurricane. They have no idea of the shear strength of bolts. I'll bet anything a bunch of politicians were involved in that one.

Rick

Talk about over complicating things. And 1/2 inch bolts for 100 sq feet? This would be code for someplace located in a permanent hurricane. They have no idea of the shear strength of bolts. I'll bet anything a bunch of politicians were involved in that one.
Odd, I thought Michigans wind load requirements were more stringent than LA's.... Ummm, does it really have anything to do with politicians or the fact that hack sign shops build unsafe structures that can't handle a 3 second gust at 85mph...